I come from that little country in the middle of the world, Ecuador. In October 2019, I joined the Internet Data Lab (IDLab) at the University of Antwerp (UAntwerp) as Assistant Professor (tenure track). I received my PhD at the Center for Processing Speech and Images (ESAT-PSI) of KU. Leuven under the advice of Prof. Tinne Tuytelaars and Prof. Luc de Raedt in April 2015. Earlier I received my engineering degree from Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral in Ecuador. During my Ph.D. I conducted research on understanding how groups of elements from the image (objects, object-parts, image regions, trajectories, etc.) interact and how the relationships between them can be exploited to improve artificial visual perception problems. This fueled my interest towards investigating exploratory/explanatory models that can identify informative intermediate representations and use them as means to justify the predictions that they make.
- Representation Learning
- Model Interpretability and Explainability
- Multiple Instance Learning and Collective Classification
- Computer Vision
2020-06 : I am co-organizing a workshop on Interpretable ML (AIMLAI@CIKM).
2020-05 : One paper accepted at ICIP 2020.
2019-12 : Our FWO project on the topic of Explainable AI got awarded.
2019-10 : I have joined the IDLab at UAntwerpen as Assistant Professor.
2019-06 : Honored to be an Outstanding Reviewer at CVPR 2019.
I am fortunate to have collaborated with the following persons:
[Feel free to contact me in case you are interested on working towards a Ph.D. or Master degree under my advice]
- Roger Granda
- Zehao Wang (co-supervised with Kaili Wang).
- Zhou Wang
- Lies Bollens
- Kevin Bardool
- Shitong Sun
- Jean-Baptiste Verroken
- Chirstiaan Vanbergen
- Kaili Wang (co-supervised with Yu-Hui Huang).
- Seppe Iven (co-supervised with Bert De Brabandere).
- Jonas Heylen (co-supervised with Bert De Brabandere).
- Pieter De Clerq
- Michiel Vanuytsel (co-supervised with Konstantinos Rematas).
- Marc Martínez-Camarena.
You can find some of my publications in the following DBLP link
Please refer to my previous homepage for open-access versions of the publications
I have collaborated in the following projects:
- SPOTT (concluded)
- Lecture+ (concluded)
- ICO LoCoVision (concluded)
- IWT PARIS (concluded)
- ERC COGNIMUND (concluded)
- Reviewer for several scientific venues including TMM, CVIU, TIP, JMLC, NIPS, ICML, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICLR, AAAI, etc.
- Co-organizer of the tutorial "Deep convolutional neural networks as a tool for vision science" at ECVP 2019
- Session Chair at ICIP 2015.
- Co-organizer of the Latin American Free Software Installation Festival (FLISOL) 2007-2009 at Guayaquil-Ecuador.
- Co-founder of ESPOL’s Free Software community (KOKOA-ESPOL).