Side header image

Residence Permit

All international and PhD Students who will be staying in Antwerp for more than 3 months have to apply for a residence permit upon arrival. This means you will be registered at the city of Antwerp. Please note that the average duration for obtaining your residence card is approximately two months. With a residence permit you can:

  • Open a bank account
  • Apply for a work permit
  • Apply for a parking permit
  • Get health insurance in Belgium

If you are employed at the University of Antwerp with a contract, or as an official you need to consult the International Staff Office website for the relevant procedure.




Hilde Didden
International Relations Office
Monday – Friday from 9.00h – 13.00h Closed on Wednesday
Gratiekapelstraat 10
2000 Antwerpen
Tel. +32 3 265 44 31