The IOB Great Lakes of Africa Centre (GLAC) has the mission to stimulate research and policy engagement, linking scholarship in and on Africa's Great Lakes region. GLAC is a unique concentration of scholarship on Africa’s Great Lakes Region.
- The thematic scope of the Centre is articulated in IOB’s research lines. The main focus are the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Burundi, Rwanda and Uganda. Countries that face considerable development challenges. In a globalized world, the activities of the Centre work across local, national and international governance levels and dynamics and therefore include attention for neighboring countries and International regional organizations which have an important role to play in Africa’s Great Lakes region.
- Contributors to GLAC conduct scholarly research that is data-driven, theoretically informed while taking context serious or engage in comparative research with a limited set countries including one or more of Africa’s Great Lakes countries.
- Apart from IOB staff members with a Great Lakes profile, GLAC aims to actively engage other scholars and policy makers in its activities, especially people working in the region. It has the aim to become a platform where multiple partnerships and institutions and a variety of ways of knowing meet through various channels.
- These objectives are realized through, for instance, ongoing academic partnerships in the DR Congo, Burundi, Uganda and Tanzania, and IOB’s Scholar in Residence Program (SIR), or contributions to the monthly policy talks Rotondes organized by CREAC (see …)
- A flagship publication of the Centre is the Conjonctures de L’Afrique Centrale, a collaboration of CREAC, IOB-GLAC, the Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL) and the Royal Museum for Central Africa. The publication offers an in-depth analysis of contemporary political, economic and social dynamics in the region. Researchers from the South can apply for scholarships to conduct fieldwork that leads to a publication in the Conjonctures.
Centre pour L’Afrique des Grands Lacs (GLAC) in French.