Following the 2014 conference in Rotterdam, this IASPM Benelux conference, the first to be held in Flanders, hopes to bring together international scholars, both from within the Benelux as outside, in all stages of their career to inspire debate and discussion on current ideas about all aspects of popular music in every form and guise. We especially invite artistic performers and representatives from the cultural and creative industries to contribute to this conference too, in order to bridge the worlds of academia and industry.
We aim for papers on – but not limited to – one of the following five interlinked strands with associated key words
- RE-cord: technology, production, industry, policy
- RE-tro: revivalism, performance (practice), (re)creation, historiography
- RE-mix: hybridity, mixing cultures, gender/race, global/local
- RE-volution: protest, repression, canon formation, myths and idols
- RE-ward: education, media, reception, audiences and scenes
Proposals are invited in the following formats:
- Individual paper (max. 250-word abstract);
- Themed session (3 themed papers, max. 250-word session rationale plus 250-word abstract per paper);
- Roundtable (max. 6 speakers plus one convener, max. 750-word abstract including rationale).
Lecture-recitals or presentations with a performance component can be hosted under certain circumstances (submit under “Individual paper” and specify). Please contact us to further discuss the possibilities.