Candidate Board of Directors
By this way I would like to highlight my motivation for my application as member for the Board of Directors. As BAP representative on this Board, I can become your spokeswoman in order to motivate your opinion and vision within our University.Interfacultary open communication is very important for all involved players to achieve our future policy.
Let me first introduce mysel fa little bit to you: In 2006 I graduated as an veterinarian specialised in small and exotic animals. After working few years in the practice and the industry, I found my way again to the University of Antwerp where I am currently working as IOF manager (Industrial Research Funding) and as project manager for the Vaccine- and Infectious Disease Institute (VAXINFECTIO). Being a project coördinator, I know perfectly what the needs are for you as a researcher within this University. Having an overview on all technical and financial aspect of many research projects, it clear where the hurdles exists and where policiy could be further improved. Holding an IOF mandate position, I try to build bridges between U as researcher and the central departments of the University on the one hand, and with the industrial outside world on the other hand. Communication is key in order to achieve a good understanding and to translate your research to the market. This is also exactly what I aim to do within the Board of Directors: to bring a good translation of the internal needs, in order to achieve the most efficient policy.
As IOF Manager I had the advantage to gain experience with industrial contracts, internal and external projects, EU projects, patents & licensing, which will bring added value to the decisiontaking within the Board of Directors. Additionally, my broad experience and background knowledge, will help me to understand your opinion and to translate this to the right people to make the difference!
Below you can read my position on some policy issues which are important to me:
- Central and decentral support for your research: e.g. looking for the right internal and external funding, guidance on the development of your invention,..
- Ensurance of the Continuity as researcher within this Institution: future career perspectives?, what after your Phd? There is a large need for more post-doc positions, ZAP members,... Long term personnel policy is necessary to maintain and safeguard the expertise within our University
- There is need for a larger scientific mid-level management structure, in order to support the ZAP members on their activities
- Improve internal communication between the scientists and the central departments, in order to improve collaboration
- Find a good and efficient connection with the new integrated faculties in this University. These growing courses and additional expertises are definately an added value in creating more research opportunities. A smooth and fast evolution of this integration is of great importance within the research policy for the AAP/BAP staff. Within VAXINFECTIO we already established a good collaboration and multiple joint projects with the Faculty of Product Development (Development Sciences). This will already guide me on promoting and defending the interests and opinions of all the newcomers in this integration process.
In conclusion, it would be an honour for me to become your spokeswoman to be heard and to have an opinion with the key policy makers of this growing and innovative University. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future to share your opinion with me. My door is always open for discussions!