Dirk De Bièvre is associate professor in the Department of Political Science of the University of Antwerp (since 2006), where he teaches Theories of International Relations, International Political Economy, Research Design of the master thesis political science, at the MA level, and the reading seminar Issues in International Politics at the BA level. He conducts research among others on European Union trade policy, interest groups, and the judicialization of the World Trade Organization. He is the author of 'Judicial politics and international cooperation: From Disputes to Deal-Making in the World Trade Organization (2016, ECPR Press, with Arlo Poletti) and 'The Trade Policy of the European Union (2017, EU Series, Palgrave Macmillan, with Sieglinde Gstöhl). He is currently chair of the Master programme International Relations and Diplomacy at the Department of Political Science of the University of Antwerp.
Dirk obtained his PhD in political science at the European University Institute (EUI, Firenze, Italy) in 2002. Supervisor of his PhD research was Daniel Verdier (now at Ohio State University). He studied in Leuven, Louvain-la-Neuve, and Konstanz. After his PhD, he was a postdoc at the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods in Bonn and at the Mannheim Centre for Social Research of the University of Mannheim. He has previously taught in Mannheim, ULB Brussel, EHSAL Brussel, TU Dresden, LUISS Rome, and the KU Leuven. During the academic year of 2014-15, he was a Visiting Fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
Dirk De Bièvre is member of the Department of Political Science of the University of Antwerp, the Antwerp Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence ACTORE, the research group ACIM, promotor of the EU training network PLATO coordinated by the University of Oslo, and member of the editorial board of the Journal of European Public Policy.
You can find a full CV Dirk De Bièvre September 2017 here, consult his academich bibliography, or follow him on ResearchGate for full text versions.
- De Bièvre, Dirk (forthcoming 2019), ‘Trade, political coalitions, and neo-gothic architecture in Europe’, European Review, accepted for publication 7 February 2017.
- De Bièvre, Dirk (2017), ‘The Origins of WTO Dispute Settlement’, in: Bourgeois, Jacques, and Marco Bronckers, The WTO Dispute Settlement Mechanism: A Health-Check, Brussels, PIE Peter Lang.
- Gstöhl, Sieglinde and Dirk De Bièvre (forthcoming December 2017), The Trade Policy of the European Union, EU Series, London: Palgrave Macmillan.
Publications in preparation:
- Arlo Poletti, Dirk De Bièvre, and Aydin Yildirim, ‘The globalization of production and the politics of dispute initiation at the World Trade Organization, Political Economy of International Organizations (PEIO), Bern, January 2017, and the ECPR Joint Sessions, April 2017, Nottingham.
- Wonka, Arndt, Iskander De Bruycker, Dirk De Bièvre, Caelesta Braun, and Jan Beyers, ‘Interest groups in EU legislative policymaking: Levels of policy mobilization and patterns of conflict’.