Did you know that we have a natural defense mechanism against cancer? Our immune system!
As research professor in tumor immunology and cancer immunotherapy I am fascinated by the interactions between immune cells and cancer cells. I investigate weapons to empower the immune system of cancer patients to eliminate cancer cells. By doing so, I contribute to increasing the applicability of immunotherapy to improve the lifespan and quality-of-life of cancer patients.
My research team, the Solid Tumor Immunology Group (STIG) of the Center for Oncological Research, develops novel combination treatments with immunotherapy to beat cancer and investigates the mechanisms used by cancer cells to escape from immunity. Key words of our research are: cancer immunotherapy, combination therapy, innate immunity, tumor microenvironment, immune checkpoints, immunostimulatory molecules, stroma, hypoxia and non-thermal plasma. I am also one of the coordinators of academic clinical studies at the Center for Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine to test cell vaccination and of translational research to further improve this type of cancer immunotherapy. In addition, Prof. Annemie Bogaerts (PLASMANT, Dept. of Chemistry) and I collaborate in our multidisciplinary UAntwerp plasma oncology team, in which all team members investigate ionized gas as an innovative and promising cancer treatment.
Do you want to support STIG's cancer research via a donation? Send me a mail (email@example.com) and I will send you the information. Every donation helps.
Statute & functions
Zelfstandig academ.pers. BOF
- research professor
- Commissie Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (effectief stemgerechtigd lid)
- Doctoraatsevaluatiecommissie Fundamenteel (effectief stemgerechtigd lid)
- Leescommissie III (effectief stemgerechtigd lid)
- Onderwijscommissie Biochemie & Biotechnologie - Biomedische Wetenschappen (effectief raadgevend lid)
- Stuurgroep Identiteit en Opdracht (effectief stemgerechtigd lid)
- Stuurgroep Universiteitsfonds (voorzitter)