Thomas Ernst is Professor of Modern German Literature at the University of Antwerp. He also works at the University of Amsterdam and holds a venia legendi on Media and Cultural Studies/German Studies at the University of Duisburg-Essen.
His research focuses on the construction of identities, images of Germany and Europe, multilinguality and transcultural spaces in Austrian and German literature; on experimental and subversive Austrian and German literatures in the 20th and 21st century; and on the digital transformation of media and its cultural effects (literature and social media; intellectual property rights; digital publishing). His publications include books on “Popliteratur” (2001/2005), “Literatur und Subversion” (2013) and numerous papers that have been published in international magazines and book series with peer-review. At the moment, he is working on a monograph on literature and social media.
Ernst has worked as a researcher or as a referee with institutions such as the DFG, FWO, FNR and the Alexander-von-Humboldt-foundation, he was an appointed member of the Global Young Faculty III (2013-2015) and is a liaison professor of the Hans-Böckler-foundation (sinds 2016). He is member of the Institute of Jewish Studies at the University of Antwerp, the Antwerp Centre for Digital Humanities and Literary Criticism (ACDC) and of the Amsterdam School of Cultural Analysis, associated member of the Study Centre for Experimental Literature (Brussel/Gent) and founding member of the DHd-workgroup Digital publishing.
- 2005 Visiting Scholar at the Columbia University in the City of New York (Department of Germanic Languages)
- 2008 Ph.D./Dr. phil. “summa cum laude” at the University of Trier (Modern German Literature)
- 2008-2010 Postdoctoral researcher at the Université du Luxembourg (IPSE: Identité. Politiques, Sociétés, Espace)
- 2010-2016 Assistant Professor at the University of Duisburg-Essen (German Studies/Literary and Media Studies)
- 2017 Assistant Professor at the University of Amsterdam (Modern Foreign Languages and Cultures/German Studies)
- 2019 Habilitation at the University of Duisburg-Essen (venia legendi in Media and Cultural Studies/German Studies)
- 2019 Professor of Modern German Literature at the University of Antwerp
Statute & functions
Bijzonder academisch personeel
Zelfstandig academisch pers.