Side header image

Application for special facilities for students with a functional impairment


Special facilities are reasonable adjustments of lessons and exams which try to compensate your functional impairment as much as possible. For example:

  • using Text-to-Speech software,
  • leaving a lecture early,
  • using extra time to take an exam,
  • spreading exams evenly.


Students with a functional impairment can request special facilities during their studies and/or exams if they have valid documentation


1. Make an appointment with your functional impairment officer

The functional impairment officers are your first point of contact when requesting special facilities. They can also provide support or follow-up regarding practical matters. Make an appointment through the Study Advice and Student Counselling Service, preferably before the start of the academic year. Bare in mind the following deadlines.

Your application has to be submitted at the latest on:

  • The 2nd of October 2020, for the first semester
  • The 19th of February 2021, for the second semester


2. Check the requirements of your certificate

To be recognized as a student with special facilities, you have to deliver supporting documents. If necessary contact your specialist, psychologist,... before the start of the academic year. Deliver the documents by mail or at the offices of the Study Advice and Student Counselling Service.

Check the requirements for your functional impairment:


3. Allocation of the statute of special facilities

The University of Antwerp decides the approval of the statute. You will be informed of this decision by mail. A statute of unlimited duration is valid for all your academic career. A statute of limited duration is valid for one academic year. In this case you have to renew your statute by providing the necessary documentation by the start of the next academic year.

After the approval of your statute you can find all the necessary information on Blackboard, the student information portal.


The Study Advice and Student Counselling Service has offices on the Stadscampus, Campus Groenenborger and Campus Drie Eiken.


Contact the Study Advice and Student Counselling Service.