Frame of reference
9. The Master of Teaching masters specialized theoretical and practical knowledge, skills and attitudes that support the basic competences of teachers as formulated in the "Decision of the Flemish Government of 8 June 2018 concerning the basic competences of teachers", pedagogically as well as with regards to the teaching methodology.
10. The Master of Teaching has profound knowledge in the subject matter of the discipline as made explicit in the discipline-specific learning outcomes.
11. The Master of Teaching can independently extend, update, broaden and deepen the educational, didactical and domain-specific knowledge and connect it with current social topics and developments. He/she can independently apply and integrate this knowledge and use it to create challenging learning environments for learners. Based on the acquired competences, he/she can develop new ideas for the educational practice and check these against reality.
12. The Master of Teaching can map the initial situation and the specific educational needs of a learning group and of individual learners. He/she can create a learning environment that connects in all its didactical components (learning objectives, content, learning material, work and grouping methods, evaluation and feedback) with the initial situation and that is inclusive and responsive with regards to the diversity in the learning group.
13. The Master of Teaching has class management skills to create a positive learning and living environment. He/she can support the broad personal, intellectual and social development of students through targeted activities and formal and informal interactions.
14. The Master of Teaching can cope with diversity and with the context of a metropolitan environment.
15. The Master of Teaching can make a short or long term plan for the organisation of teaching and learning activities with a view to creating a structured, efficient, safe and stimulating learning environment, based on scientific evidence.
Collaboration with partners
16. The Master of Teaching can communicate with parents or carers with different backgrounds in various language situations with a view to exchanging information, to stimulating the involvement and participation and to developing constructive solutions together to support and stimulate the learning of the learners.
17. The Master of Teaching can collaborate constructively with external partners with a view to enriching the education and training offer and to facilitating the flow between education levels and the job market.
18. The Master of Teaching can independently access available (inter)national scientific research in the domain of the teaching profession in general or in his/her discipline in particular, approach it in a critical-reflective way and apply the insights in his/her own class and school context.
19. The Master of Teaching knows the possibilities and the limits of different theoretical paragdigms in educational, didactical and discipline-specific research.
20. The Master of Teaching treats information, education practices, methodologies and learning tools critically and reflectively, based on scientific evidence. He/she is aware of gaps in the empirical evidence to fill the teaching role appropriately.
21. The Master of Teaching can complete a research cycle on a topic relevant to education whereby he/she can make contribution to the developments in education based on theoretical and practice-oriented insights.
22. The Master of Teaching can contribute to school policy and school development based on an active and inquisitive attitude to professional innovation.
23. The Master of Teaching can adjust his/her functioning as a teacher through inquisitive learning and critical self-evaluation and thus give direction and innovation to his/her profesional practice and development.
School and society
24. The Master of Teaching has insight in the organisational principles of schools and of good school policy.
25. The Master of Teaching can collaborate constructively with colleagues in a school team. He/she can initiate, participate in and lead disciplinary and interdisciplinary team meetings and activities beyond the classroom.
26. The Master of Teaching can communicate with colleagues and other stakeholders in education about educational topics, the teaching profession and solutions he/she has developed for the educational practice and can participate as professional in the social debate.