Facilities at the university
During your stay at the Antwerp Summer and Winter University, we have many student facilities available for you:
The University of Antwerp has 4 campuses, located in the city centre as well as the outskirts of Antwerp. Detailed campus maps show you where the various buildings are located on each campus. Most programmes will take place at either the Stadscampus or Campus Drie Eiken. Biking between the campuses is the easiest and fastest way to get around, although a dense public transportation network also allows you to easily travel by bus or tram between campuses.
Studying in Antwerp
- Do you want to expand your horizons and study a new degree at the University of Antwerp? We have a range of programmes taught in English. Discover more.
- Interested in an exchange opportunity of 2 months to a full year? We have various options for you to come discover the University of Antwerp. Discover more.
- The University of Antwerp has a reputed PhD programme. Find out more about our research domains and the Antwerp Doctoral School.
Cost of living
Disclaimer: the information below is an estimation, based on personal experience and can be different for each participant.
Antwerp is an affordable alternative to many other European cities. Tuition fees, and what is included in these fees, vary between summer or winter schools.
In general, all course materials, coffee breaks and social programme activities are included. Depending on the summer or winter school you apply for, accommodation, lunch and/or dinner can also be included. Some programmes organised by Antwerp Summer and Winter University offer scholarships for specific target groups. Please check the website of the summer or winter school you are interested in for more information.
If accommodation is not included, prices vary depending on the type. A list of accommodation options can be provided upon acceptance to the summer or winter school, options include:
- Student room rental with common or shared facilities (kitchen and sanitary).
- Staying at a hostel, this can either be a bed in a dormitory or a private room.
- Hotels offer single or double rooms, with or without breakfast, so your stay can be tailored to your preferences.
If lunch is not included, participants can still eat lunch at the students restaurant of the university (Komida). When showing your student credentials, you get a discount. The price of a sandwich amounts to €4 until €7. The price of warm lunch at the student restaurants or cafeterias is between €5 and €10.
Participants staying at student rooms or hostels can generally prepare their own dinner in a shared kitchen. Dinner at a regular restaurant in Antwerp can cost between €25 and €35.
All participants are insured for third party liability and accidents during summer or winter school activities. Additional insurances (e.g. health and travel), as well as travel costs are the participant’s own responsibility.
Simulation cost of living
Below you can find a simulation for a participant attending a one week summer school, where lunch and accommodation are not included in the tuition fee:
- Accommodation at a low-budget hotel (around €80/night): €560
- Breakfast and lunch (around €20/day): €140
- Dinner (around €30/day on average): €210
- Recreation, visits and personal expenses: €100
Travel, visa costs and additional insurances (e.g. health and travel) are not included in this simulation. The cost of living will of course vary according to personal preferences and situations.