Side header image

Admission and enrolment

What do you need to start a PhD?

Once you have got this in order, you can contact the apply for a PhD at the Registrar's Office.

The faculty in which you would like to pursue your PhD will decide on your admission based on the proposal of your researchproject (which you agreed upon with your supervisor(s)).

For some categories of students, the faculty may ask you to complete a preparatory programme. This applies to: 

  • candidates wishing to obtain the degree of doctor in a different discipline from the one in which they obtained their Master’s degree;
  • candidates with a Master’s degree from an institution outside of the Flemish Community;
  • candidates who do not hold a Master’s degree.

Also have a look at the vacancies for PhD scholarships.

Collaboration with external partners

If your PhD involves collaboration with external partners (e.g. a company or another university) it is best to discuss certain arrangements in advance about publication, confidentiality and property rights regarding the results of the research. Also if you think that some of your results might be valorised and/or used for commercial purposes it is best to agree upon how this is handled in time.

The Valorisation Office can provide you with support and advice and help you draw up an appropriate agreement.