Preparatory one-year programme: Dutch as a Foreign Language in an Academic Context
A limited number of scholarships is available for refugees. Applications can be submitted from 16 May 2018 until 12 July 2018.
- Young people (aged 17 to 25) planning to continue their studies: this means they have finished secondary school, achieved a qualification that allows them to enter higher education, and would like to start Dutch-language higher education.
- Adults planning to continue their studies: this means they have already attained a Bachelor or Master in their own country and would like to continue studying in Dutch-language higher education.
- Refugee status: asylum seeker / refugee status / subsidiary protection
- Language proficiency: intermediate knowledge of English (CEFR level B1)
- A score of at least 40 out of 48 on the COVAAR test
- Bachelor or Master degree (excluding 17-25 year old adults with secondary school qualifications allowing them to study in higher education)
- Ability to attend classes in a full time study programme
- Plans to continue studying in Flemish higher education
- Income criterium:
You have a total gross family income of less than €2000 per month.
You can prove this using a recent document (less than one month old) in one of the following categories:
- evidence that you receive a replacement income from the social security services (e.g. leefloon, stempelvergoeding, document from payment institution or public centre for social welfare/OCMW, etc.).
- evidence that you or the person who supports you receive(s) a limited income (e.g. payslip, proof from accountant if self-employed, etc.).
- If you are cohabiting or married your partner’s income will also be taken into account, so you will have to prove your partner’s replacement income or low income. You should also take proof of your family situation.
- The deadline for submitting your online application is 12 July 2018.
- Your application and your documents are reviewed between 9 and 12 July 2018.
- On Friday 13 July 2018 the applicants selected for the interview receive an appointment by E-mail. The interviews will be held on Tuesday 17 July. The applicants who have not been selected, are notified about this decision on the same day.
- Between 3 and 7 September an academic committee selects the candidates for the scholarships that are available. The committee also decides upon a list of alternate candidates.
- The programme starts with a welcome week on 17 September 2018 and ends on 28 June 2019.