Side header image


It’s possible to extend your residence card through the International Relations Office or the IOB students office.

Procedure and documents

You have to submit the following documents:

  1. a completed, signed and dated information sheet for extension;
  2. proof of scholarship OR legalised proof of sponsorship (annex 32) OR proof of solvency (blocked university account)
  3. a Study certificate Foreign Students’ Office for the current academic year.  You can download the study certificate from SisA (Documents > Study cert. International Students' Office). Please note this certificate is only available in Dutch.
  4. proof of valid public or private health insurance for Belgium. A recent certificate of insurance (verklaring van lidmaatschap) in case of a Belgian health insurance provider.
  5. a colour copy of your passport
  6. a colour copy of your current residence card
  7. For Bachelor and Master students onlythe transcript of records document (= official study results). You have to request the transcript of records at your faculty or departmental student administration.  Document has to be signed and stamped. 
    Observation:  In case you have missed exams (e.g. sickness, etc.) you have to add proof thereof (such as sickness note, etc.) and/or give a clear statement of the reasons why you missed them.

Scan each document (not each page) and give each document the correct name according to the guidelines. You can scan your documents in the university library. 

Email the required items as separate documents to the International Relations Office or the IOB student office with subject name: residence permit extension. 

The International Relations Office or IOB will send your application file to the Antwerp Immigration Office. After approval an appointment date and time is set for you. You will receive an email with the appointment details. 

At the appointment you will present:

  • your passport and Belgian residence card (A-card)
  • one passport picture


Make sure to send in your application for extension preferably 15 days before the expiry date of your residence card. 
A late or incomplete application will automatically be declared inadmissible by the Immigration Office.

Add extra days for processing through the university’s International Relations Office.

Due to the peak period in September and October at the International Students Desk of the Immigration Office, you are strongly advised to send in your application for extension 6 to 8 weeks before the expiry date of your residence permit.

If you have second-session exams (resits) in August and September, you will have to wait until you have received the official exam results from your faculty administration.

Do not send in your application both through the International Relations Office and through the Immigration Office in Deurne. That will only complicate matters.


You will have to pay 21.60 euros, preferably by credit card.
If you need your residence card within a very short period of time, an urgent procedure can be requested at Gate15. 
The price of the residence card will then be 123,60 euros (ready next working day if ordered before 3 p.m.).

Insufficient study progress

Your right of residence as a non-EEA student is always limited to the duration of your studies. The Belgian immigration service has the authority to terminate your stay in case you excessively prolong your studies. If you wish to extend your residence permit, you will need to prove you have made sufficient progress in your studies.

The amount of credits you need to obtain depends on your programme:

Bachelor programme:

  • At least 45 credits after 2 enrolments in the programme.
  • At least 90 credits after 3 enrolments in the programme.
  • At least 135 credits after 4 enrolments in the programme.
  • After 5 enrolments in your 180-credit bachelor programme you must have obtained the degree.
  • After 6 enrolments in your 240-credit bachelor programme you must have obtained the degree.

Master programme:

  • At least 60 credits after 2 enrolments in the programme (whether or not combined with a bridging or preparatory programme).
  • At least 120 credits after 3 enrolments in the programme (whether or not combined with a bridging or preparatory programme).
  • After 2 enrolments in your 60-credit master programme you must have obtained your degree.
  • After 3 enrolments in your 120-credit master programme you must have obtained your degree.
  • After 4 enrolments in your 180-credit master programme you must have obtained your degree.

(In case the master programme is combined with a bridging or preparatory programme of at least 30 credits, these terms can be extended with one year of study.)

This information can be found on the ‘Study certificate Foreign Student’s Office’, that you can download from SiSa (only available in Dutch).

If you change programmes and you receive exemptions for certain courses, only the credits of the exempted courses count towards the calculation of these provisions.

Note! These rules apply in addition to the existing study progress measures of the university. To be able to re-enrol, you must therefore comply with both the university’s study progress measures and the conditions set by the Belgian immigration service. However, the Belgian immigration service will take account of any study progress monitoring measures that have been imposed if a student or the educational institution provides valid proof.

International Relations Office

Gratiekapelstraat 10
2000 Antwerpen
Tel. +32 3 265 94 91


Greet Annaert Mon - Fri / 9:30 - 15:30 h.
Lange Sint-Annastraat 7
2000 Antwerp
Tel. 0032 3 265 59 42

Gate 15

International Students Desk Kleine Kauwenberg 15
2000 Antwerpen