How does society deal with water issues such as floods and droughts? How does society manage its precious water resources? Which governance arrangements are in place and are they effective, efficient and legitimate?
The research group Environment & Society of the Social Sciences Faculty of the University of Antwerp has a tradition in studying the sociological, political and policy studies aspects of sustainable water management.
- How do policy arrangements for water management look like in Flanders and Wallonia?
- Does the Belgian (Flemish) approach of dealing with floods differ with the approaches used in other European countries?
- How are we doing in the implementation of European water directives such as the Water Framework Directive and the Floods Directive?
- Water governance, only a governmental responsibility or also the responsibility of citizens and other stakeholders?
- More coordination needed between governments! Striving for an integrated water management.
- Do we adapt to the effects of climate change and how are we organizing its governance?