Postdoctoral researcher for the software defined management of 5G and IoT networks
imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The IDLab research group of imec performs fundamental and applied research on internet technologies and data science. IDLab is a joint research initiative between the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. The overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and data mining; semantic intelligence; distributed intelligence for IoT; cloud and big data infrastructures; multimedia coding and delivery; wireless and fixed networking; electromagnetics, RF and high-speed circuits and systems. Within Antwerp, IDLab specifically focuses on wireless networking (in collaboration with Ghent), distributed embedded systems and stochastic modelling. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
IDLab is a core research group of imec and a significant part of IDLab research activities are embedded in the University of Antwerp. More specifically, the research on wireless networking is a joint activity between the University of Antwerp and Ghent University.
For further development of the IDLab wireless research cluster, we are looking for a post-doctoral researcher in the domain of software defined management of 5G and IoT networks.
- You have a Masters of Science degree, preferably in Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- You have (or will receive within a few months) a PhD degree in Computer Science, Electronics, Informatics or similar.
- Your research expertise is in the area of the function description (software defined networking and/or wireless networking)
- Your PhD degree is preferably in the area of wireless networking and/or network and service management
- You have a proven track record in participating in national and/or European research projects.
- You have published in high-ranking conferences and journals in the field.
- Having experience with managing and supervising team members is an advantage.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
- You are conducting research on how to build a programmable wireless network (mainly MAC and IP layer) building on concepts such as software-define networking, software-defined radio and network virtualization. These solutions can either be applied in low power IoT networks or high broadband 5G networks and to a number of application domains (smart cities, smart mobility, etc.).
- You will participate in the framework of European and national research projects (in collaboration with industry).
- You publish and present results both at international conferences and in scientific journals.
- You supervise and assist PhD students during their PhD study.
- You manage the execution of European and/or national research projects. More specifically, you will be coordinating one or both of these national projects:
- CONAMO (https://www.iminds.be/en/projects/conamo) where IDLab is building a highly dynamic IEEE 802.15.4g network for the long range and real-time transmission of sensor data for sports events such as cycling.
- 5GUARDS where IDLab is using concepts such as network virtualization and software-defined networking to build a sliced 5G network for the monitoring of large industrial sites.
- You develop project proposals for the European Horizon 2020 Program and national projects, both in fundamental and collaborative programs.
- Type of contract: full time
- Employment: temporary assignment for 12 months possibly leading to a permanent position
- Application requirements: CV and motivation letter
- Location: Antwerp
How to apply
Applications should consist of
- A motivation letter
- At least one reference to contact
- Full CV
- A reference paper
Spontaneous job applications are always welcome, please send your resume and your motivation letter to Karen Dierckxsens. For a list of all academic, administrative and technical jobs see the vacancies list of the University of Antwerp.