I conducted the Nyakatoke Network Survey as part of my PhD. Nyakatoke is a small Haya community situated in the Kagera Region of Tanzania. In 2000 we did a census of all 119 households and documented the links between them.
The data can be downloaded, but are undocumented. They were put on line on 18 December 2018 and now includes 5 rounds of panel data on consumption, on illness shocks and on transfers between all dyads in the network.
The last three papers in the publication list give a socio-economic profile of Nyakatoke and a description its community organisations.
The following publications use the Nyakatoke data (please e-mail me if you identify any gaps):
- Henderson, Heath and Arnob Alam. The structure of risk-sharing networks. Mimeo. Drake University.
- Vandenbossche, Joost and Thomas Demuynck (2013), ‘Network Formation with Heterogeneous Agents and Absolute Friction’, Computational Economics, 42 (1): 23-45
- Comola, Margherita and Marcel Fafchamps. Forthcoming. The Missing Transfers: Estimating Mis-reporting in Dyadic Data. Economic Development and Cultural Change
- Graham, Bryan. 2015. Methods of Identification inSocial Networks. Annual Review of Economics 7:465–8
- Comola, Margherita and Marcel Fafchamps. 2014. Testing Unilateral and Bilateral Link Formation. The Economic Journal, 124: 954-975.
- De Weerdt, Joachim and Marcel Fafchamps. 2011. Social Identity and the Formation of Health Insurance Networks. Journal of Development Studies 47(8): 1152-1177.
- Van den Broeck, Katleen and Stefan Dercon. 2011. Information Flows and Social Externalities in a Tanzanian Banana Growing Village. Journal of Development Studies 47(2):231-252.
- De Weerdt, Joachim, Stefan Dercon, Tessa Bold and Alula Pankhurst. 2007. Membership-based Indigenous Insurance Associations. Pages 157-167 in Martha Chen, Renana Jhabvala, Ravi Kanbur, Carol Richards (eds.), “Membership Based Organisations of the Poor” Londen: Routledge 376 pages.
- De Weerdt, Joachim and Stefan Dercon. 2006. Risk-sharing Networks and Insurance Against Illness. Journal of Development Economics 81(2): 337-356.
- Dercon, Stefan, Joachim De Weerdt, Tessa Bold and Alula Pankhurst. 2006. Group-based Funeral Insurance in Ethiopia and Tanzania. World Development 34(4): 685-703.
- De Weerdt, Joachim. 2004. Risk-sharing and Endogenous Network Formation. Chapter 10 in Dercon, S. (ed.) “Insurance Against Poverty”, Oxford University Press, pp: 197-216. dowload pdf
- De Weerdt, Joachim. 2001. Community Organisations in Rural Tanzania: A Case Study of the Community of Nyakatoke, Bukoba Rural District. 2001. download pdf
- Mitti, Respichius and Thadeus Rweyemamu. 2001. Taswira ya Kijamii na Kiuchumi ya Kitongoji Nyakatoke. download pdf
- Mitti, Respichius and Thadeus Rweyemamu. 2001. A Socio-economic profile of Nyakatoke. download pdf
Back to bio and publications