I obtained my bachelor degree in philosophy at the UFSIA (actual UA) and in 2003, I obtained my master degree in philosophy at the KULeuven, where I also obtained my teacher degree (2004). In addition, I studied religious sciences (major: religious studies) at the KULeuven (2003-2005). From 2005 to 2008, I worked as a religious education teacher in a secondary school and since 2008, I work for the Centre Pieter Gillis, where I obtained my PHD in 2012, titled "How fair is church-financing? A political-philosophical Approach". Since 2013, I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre Pieter Gillis, where I also teach the course "worldviews and society" at the faculty of law.
My main research focuses on contemporary political philosophy (Rawls, Dworkin, Raz, Kymlicka, Kukathas, Galston), perfectionism versus antiperfectionism, state neutrality, church-state regimes, freedom of education and freedom of religion, religious education and faith-based schools. I published several peer-reviewed articles in national and international scientific journals and I participated in several national and international conferences, where I presented papers on these research topics.
Below, you will find a selection of my publications in English:
- Franken, Leni (2016). Liberal Neutrality and State Support for Religion. A Political-philosophical Analysis. Zürich: Springer (B1) http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-28944-1
- Franken, Leni (2016). Religious freedom in education: the United States versus Belgium. Religion & education, DOI http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1080/15507394.2016.1147914. (A1.2)
- Franken, Leni (2016). The freedom of religion and the freedom of education in twenty-first-century Belgium: a critical approach. British journal of religious education DOI: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1080/01416200.2015.1113934 (A1.1)
- Franken Leni (2015). State Support for religion in Belgium: a critical evaluation. Journal of church and state, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1093/jcs/csv099. (A1.1)
- Franken, Leni (2014). Religious and Citizenship Education in Belgium/Flanders: Suggestions for the Future. Education, Citizenship and Social Justice 9(3), 255-267. (A1.2)
- Franken, Leni & Patrick Loobuyck (2013). The Future of Religious Education on the FlemishSchool Curriculum. A Plea for Integrative Religious Education for All. Religious Education108(5), 482-498. (A1.2)
- Franken Leni & Patrick Loobuyck (2013). Is Active State Support for Religions and Worldviews compatible with the Liberal Idea of State Neutrality? A Critical Analysis of the Belgian Case. Journal of Church and State 55(3), 478-497. (A1.1)
- Loobuyck Patrick & Leni Franken (2011) Toward integrative religious education in Belgium and Flanders: challenges and opportunities. British journal of religious education 33(1), 17-30. (A1.1)
- Franken Leni & Patrick Loobuyck (eds.) (2011) Religious Education in a Plural, Secularised Society: a Paradigm Shift. Berlin: Waxmann Verlag. (B3)
- Franken Leni & Patrick Loobuyck (2011) Barry and Kakuthas as inspiring sources for a fair church-state system in Belgium. Journal for the Study of Religions and Ideologies 10(28), 3-20. (A1.1)