Do you want to enrol in an Academic Bachelor programme at the University of Antwerp? You will need to fulfil a number of admission requirements.

Diploma requirements for Bachelor's programmes

In order to enrol in an academic Bachelor programme, you need to have (at least) a secondary school degree which entitles you to enrol in a comparable programme in a university of the country in which the degree was conferred. In case an entrance examination is applicable in your home country, the results of this examination will also be taken into account. In some cases, additional conditions may apply such as minimum scores for certain subjects.

The submission of an admission application file through Mobility Online is dependent on the following facts:

  • The origin of your relevant degree: has it been obtained within or outside the European Economic Region (EER)?
  • The necessity of a visa to enter Belgium
  • The recognition of the diploma by NARIC

Please select the appropriate box to proceed.

I have a degree from the EER and I do not need a visa to enter Belgium

You can enrol directly if you have one of the qualifications in the table below and you do not need a visa to enter Belgium. In this case, you are exempted from the admission procedure.

Enrolments start on 1 July before the start of the academic year concerned.



Additional qualification conditions

  • Reifezeugnis
  • Reife- or Diplomprüfungszeugnis

Secondary education of the Flemish, French-speaking or German-speaking communities

Diploma za sredno obrazovanie
State Matriculation Examination (Durzhavni zrelostni izpiti)
Svjedodžba o državnoj maturi

Apolytirion + Pancyprian exam

Czech Republic
Vysvědčení o maturitní zkoušce

  • Studentereksamen
  • Højere Forberedelseseksamen
  • Højere Handelseksamen
  • Højere Teknisk Eksamen

  • Gümnaasiumi loputunnistus
  • Loputunnistus kutsekeskhariduse omandamise kohta
  • From 1997: State Entrance Examinations (riigiesamid)

  • Studentexamenbetyg
  • Ylioppilastutkintotidistus

Baccalauréat (Général, Technologique or Professionel)

  • Allgemeine Hochschulreife
  • Abitur

Apolytirio Genikou Lykeiou + Bebaiosi Prosbasis

Érettségi Bizonyítvány


  • Leaving Certificate
  • Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (Level 5)
  • LCA is not accepted
Leaving certificate with at least 6 courses including English or Irish and Mathematics. At least 2 subjects with min H5, 4 subjects with min O6 or H7 and min CAO of 350.
  • Diploma dell' Esame di Stato conclusivo dei Corsi di Istruzione Secondaria Superiore
Minimum mark: 60/100
  • Diplom par profesionālo vidējo izglītību
  • Atestāts par vispārējo vidējo izglītību

  • Berufsmaturitätszeugnis
  • Maturazeugnis
Minimum mark: 4
Brandos atestatas

  • ​Diplôme de fin d'études secondaires classiques
  • Diplôme de fin d'études secondaires générales/techniques
  • Brevet de technicien supérieur

Matriculation Certificate (MATSEC)
Minimum mark: C
The Netherlands(Koninkrijk der Nederlanden)
  • VWO
  • HAVO and propedeuse HBO
  • MBO and propedeuse HBO

Vitnemål for videregående opplæring

Świadectwo dojrzałości

Diploma (Certificado) de Nível Secundário de Educação
Proof of registration or letter of admission from the "Direccao Geral do Ensino Superior"
Diplomă de Bacalaureat
Minimum mark: 6
Vysvedčenie o maturitnej skúške

Matura (Maturitetno spričevalo)

Título de Bachiller (Bachillerato)
Proof of registration or letter of admission for a similar programme at a Spanish university
  • Slutbetyg Från Gymnasieskola
  • Högskoleförberedande Exam Gymnasieskola

Maturitätszeugnis/Certificat de Maturité

European Baccalaureate diploma

International Baccalaureate diploma, accredited by the Office du Baccalauréat International in Genève
The diploma must be present on for verification
NATO Shape school diploma - Belgian section

You will need to follow the admission procedure if your qualification was issued in an EER member state but is not listed here. 

I have a degree from outside the EER or I need a visa to enter Belgium

You always will need to submit an application for admission. If favourable, a letter of acceptance will be issued which is required to apply for a student visa.

Apart from the secondary education degree, additional requirements (like grades) can be applicable, as shown in the list below of the most common degrees:

Degree and additional requirements


General Certificate of Education Advanced Level mentioning  3 A levels each with a minimum grade C 


Baccalauréat de l’Enseignement Secondaire Général with at least mention bien 


West African Senior Secondary School Certificate mentioning at least 6 subjects (of which at least 3 core subjects) each with a minimum grade B3 


Attestation du Baccalauréat with at least mention bien


West African Senior Secondary School Certificate mentioning at least 5 subjects (of which at least 2 core subjects) each with a minimum grade B3 and an UTME score of at least 200 

The degree requirements listed above are minimum requirements. Meeting them therefore don’t automatically guarantee admission.

Please note that states/state actors have to be internationally recognised before we can take degrees and certificates from these states into account.

My degree has been recognised by NARIC

Students whose degree was already recognised by NARIC as being equivalent to a Flemish diploma that gives direct access to a bachelor programme also already comply with the diploma requirements. These students also don’t need to submit an application for admission and can also enrol directly with the registrar's office in accordance with the enrolment procedure.  Please note that a NARIC equivalence does not exempt the holder from other requirements (e.g. language).

Language requirements for the Bachelor's programmes...

Except for the Bachelor of Social-Economic Science, all our bachelor's programmes (undergraduate) are taught in Dutch.  Students who wish to enrol for a Dutch bachelor's programme will have to prove their proficiency in Dutch.

... taught in Dutch

Dutch language proficiency can be shown in two ways:

  • Either you have completed and passed at least one complete year (= 60 credits) of courses taught in Dutch at a secondary school, university college or university.  The courses should not be aimed at acquiring the Dutch language or preparing for the required level of Dutch in higher education.
  • Or you’ve obtained one of the following language certificates (within the last two years):

Without proof of proficiency in Dutch, enrolling for one of our Dutch programmes is not possible.  Please note that no other language certificates than the ones listed above will be accepted (such as certificates from Adult Education Centers (CVO)). Furthermore, certificates can not be older than 2 years at the start of the enrolment period.

Diploma of a European School or an International Baccalaureate and Dutch as Language 1 or Level A?  Please contact the Registrar's Office to check your documents for an equivalence of the required proficiency in Dutch.

Want to learn Dutch?
If you don’t master Dutch yet you can opt for the one-year preparatory language programme offered by Linguapolis. Please note that it’s not possible to obtain a student visa solely on the basis of this language programme. When applying for a visa you’ll also need to proof that you can start a bachelor’s programme after completing the language programme. Thus two admission letters are requested to apply for a student visa: one for the preparatory language programme and one for the bachelor's programme. To simplify things our university has devised one application procedure for both programmes (please read below for more information). As a result, it’s not possible to apply for a bachelor's programme at our university while taking a language programme somewhere else.

... taught in English: Bachelor of Social-Economic Sciences

Candidates can prove their proficiency in English by submitting one of the following language certificates with the listed minimum scores:

  • TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language; taken at a test center - Home editions are not accepted): a minimum score of 80. You can find more information about TOEFL at
  • IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System; taken at a test center - Online tests are not accepted): a minimum score of at least 6.5, and on each part minimum 6.0. You can find more information about IELTS at;
  • ITACE (Interuniversity Test of Academic English for Students): minimum level B2. You can find more information about ITACE at
  • Cambridge English: minimum B2 First with a score of at least 176. You can find more information about Cambridge English at

Certificates can not be older than 2 years at the start of the enrolment period.

Applicants who have previously obtained a diploma in an English taught programme in Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America are exempt from providing an additional language test certificate.

Students holding a degree issued by a recognized educational institution in Flanders, are exempt from the English language test. Based on the Benelux Decision about mutual degree recognition of 18 May 2015, this exemption of the English language test also applies to holders of degrees issued by recognized educational institutions in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg.

Diploma of a European School or an International Baccalaureate and English as Language 1 or Level A?  Please contact the Registrar's Office to check your documents for an equivalence of the required proficiency in English.

Additional requirements...

... for Bachelor's programmes in Sciences, Life Sciences and Medicine: entrance exams and 'starttoets'

In certain situations, additional exams apply in addition to the standard admission requirements:

  • Students who wish to study Medicine (Bachelor or Master) or Veterinary medicine (bachelor; starting from 2023-2024) will have to pass the entrance exam (information only available in Dutch).
  • Students who wish to study the following bachelor's programmes
    • Bio-engineering science
    • Biomedical science
    • Engineering technology
    • Mathematics
    • Pharmaceutical sciences
    • Physics
    • Veterinary medicine

will have to participate in the compulsory 'starttoets(information only available in Dutch). Participation will give you access to the enrolment for these programmes. The outcome of the exam will determine if you have to take extra compulsory courses.

... for students with a Chinese degree

The APS (Akademische Prüfstelle) is a mandatory academic screening for most students who have a Chinese degree. These students will not be able to obtain access to higher education in Flanders and to receive a Belgian student visa without the screening.  The screening is done at one of the APS screening centres in China, namely in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Chengdu, and consists of two parts: a formal check of the diploma and an interview of the candidate to test his/her academic knowledge. The screening can take several months before a decision is proclaimed; it’s therefore recommended to start the procedure on time. Please visit the APS website for detailed information.

Some categories of students can be exempted from the APS procedure:

  • Students admitted to our university within  the framework of a bilateral agreement between their home university and the University of Antwerp
  • Students admitted to our university as part of an official exchange programme (Erasmus-Mundus, ASEM-Duo…)
  • Students admitted to our university with a scholarship from the China Scholarship Council
  • Students that already have earned a degree or credits in a degree programme at an institution of higher education outside China
  • Students with a diploma from Hong Kong or Macau
  • Refugees from the People's Republic of China
  • Non-Chinese students with a diploma obtained in the People's Republic of China

Additionally, some students can be exempted from the second part of the APS procedure (academic interview):

  • Students with a permanent Belgian residence permit
  • Students applying for a PhD

Students who want to apply for an exemption need to upload a document in their online application in Mobility Online which clearly proves that they belong to one of these categories. In case the proof is found to be valid the Registrar’s Office will contact the concerning authorities to grant the exemption.