Side header image

Student visa

If you are a national of a European Economic Area country* or from Monaco or Switzerland you may travel to Belgium on the strength of a national passport or identity card.

If you have any other nationality, you have to apply for a student visa (type D) with the Belgian embassy or consulate in your current country of residence before leaving for Belgium.
Having a European Union residence permit from another EU country is not sufficient because upon arrival in Belgium you will have to present the same documents to the immigration office as for a student visa (type D) application and the procedure will take much longer.

If you have dual citizenship (for example non-EU and EU) and you are not currently a resident of an EU country, we strongly advise you to apply for a visa. The issuance of a residence permit could otherwise be delayed as you will not have health insurance issued by a European provider (which is a requirement for all European nationals to stay in Belgium). By applying for a visa, you will already be able to settle this in advance.

 *EEA: EU + Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

More information on the application procedure
Addresses of the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country

Important note
For some countries, approval by the Belgian authorities can take up to three months or longer. Make sure you start the visa application procedure well in advance! We urge you not to come on a tourist visa alone.

Contribution for visa LONG stay - D

Since 2 March 2015, non-EU nationals have to pay a contribution to cover the administrative costs involved for processing a long stay visa application for Belgium by the Immigration Office. When submitting the visa application, the applicant who has to pay the contribution has to demonstrate that the contribution has been paid in full.

UPDATE: As of the academic year 2016-2017, international students with a scholarship issued by a Belgian university or university college, a Belgian public authority or the European Union, are exempted from paying this contribution fee. Presentation of proof thereof is required upon visa application.

This contribution has to be paid by the applicant or a third party (family member, acquaintance, sponsor, guarantor etc.) in a designated bank account in Belgium. The proof of payment will need to be provided at the time of submission of the visa application. In the event that an applicant is unable to provide the proof of payment, the visa application will be declared inadmissible.

The amount of this contribution and the exemptions that exist, can be found on the website of the FPS Home Affairs – Immigration Office
Amount of contribution for students: €204 (increased from 01/06/2019)
Amount of contribution for employees: €358 (increased from 01/06/2019)

The cost of the long stay visa (handling fee - €180 equivalent in local currency) will remain and needs to be paid at the time of the application. Being exempted from paying the handling fee does not mean that you are exempted from the contribution to the administrative cost.

The contribution will need to be paid in euros in a Belgian bank account in the name of FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, details of which are:

BPOST N.V., Muntcentrum, 1000 Brussel

FOD Binnenlandse Zaken, Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken, Antwerpse Steenweg 59B, 1000 Brussel

Account information:
IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235 


The reference must be according to the following structure:

  • Name & First name of the applicant (as mentioned in the passport)
  • Nationality
  • Date of birth: day (dd) – month (MM) – year (YYYY)

Therefore: NAME Given name Nationality Date of Birth(DDMMYYYY)


  • Any costs involved with the transfer of the contribution are to be borne by the applicant.
  • The contribution will not be refunded in case of refusal of the visa or in the event that you pay too much.
  • In the event that you have not paid the full contribution, you will be able to transfer the remaining balance within a period of 30 days. If you do not prove that the outstanding balance was paid within this period, the Immigration Office will not refund the partial amount that had already been received and will consider the file inadmissible.