5 & 6 October 2023, Pianofabriek, Brussels
Initiated by Annelys de Vet
DDFP invites you to a two-day workshop around the ecosystems of design projects; how is the relationship between locality, materiality, conditions, economy, politics and narrative? How can designers develop sustainable and fair models for these? During two engaging days we want to provide insight into how politics, production and language are connected, and how designers have, and play, an active role in this. Based on our experiences in Palestine and the input of the participating designers and students, we explore these questions to develop collectively a situation specific ‘Fair Glossary’.
Workshop hosts: Annelys Devet (ARIA), Sulaiman Saleh, Siwar Kraytem & Rasha Dakkak, Trees Candaele (Femimain) and Ratib Bakri.
For: Design students, practitioners and artists (25 places available)
Thursday 5 October, 10am - 5pm
- Welcome & check-in
- Guided tour of exhibition Pianofabriek
- Lecture by designer Annelys de Vet on Disarming Design from Palestine; how did this project originate, how was it organised, how were the products designed, what was the role and content of the workshops, what problems did we encounter along the way and what is the meaning of such a project, beyond the visible? Followed by a discussion.
- Film screening providing insight in the processes of making the products and their narratives
- Presentation and workshop by Sulaiman Saleh, researcher International and Intercultural Communication, giving more insight on the role of culture in the struggle for fairer relationships.
- Workshop on designing infrastructures
Friday 6 October, 10am - 5pm
- Hybrid presentation and Q&A with designers Siwar Kraytem and Rasha Dakkak on their project ‘Latlateh’; a discussion café for language, semantics, and translation and their political dimension. The platform stems from the ‘Language Café’ that they initiated in the context of their studies at the Disarming Design Masters at the Sandberg Institute Amsterdam.
- Conversation with Trees Candaele, founder of Moroccan design brand Femimain on how she developed this label, how she works with Moroccan craftswomen, how they jointly develop the designs, what is the role of design and what complexities arise with such a socially engaged project.
- Workshop by Annelys de Vet, Sulaiman Saleh and Rateb Bakri on design-infrastructures, language and fair trade, during which participants collectively create graphic statements, to be exhibited in the Pianofabriek’s exhibition space as a ‘Fair Glossary’
- Presentation of the joint ‘Fair Glossary’
This seminar is a pre-event of the Sint Lucas Antwerp Research Week.