- Prof. dr. Jean-Pierre Timmermans (co-promotor µNEURO)
- Prof. dr. Winnok De Vos (co-promotor µNEURO)
- Prof. dr. Samir Kumar-Singh (co-promotor µNEURO)
- Prof. dr. Sales Ibiza Martinez
- Prof. dr. John-Paul Bogers
- Em. Prof. dr. Dirk Adriaensen
- Dr. Isabel Pintelon
The Laboratory of Cell Biology and Histology is an interfaculty research group of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences and the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
The group focusses on the use and development of high-end microscopy technologies and has a solid expertise in cell, tissue and system biology. Research activities are concentrated on gaining a better understanding of the cell biological principles underlying human physiology and disease to discover new entry points for diagnosis and therapy.
Active areas of neuroscience research include:
- Pathogenic mechanisms in neurodegeneration and -inflammation
- The role of the gut-brain axis in neurodegeneration
- Cellular heterogeneity in (accelerated) aging
The Laboratory of Cell Biology and Histology also operates the Antwerp Centre for Advanced Microscopy, a core facility of the University of Antwerp.