Are you an excellent researcher looking for competitive long-term funding for your ground-breaking research idea? In that case applying for an ERC Grant with the University of Antwerp as host institution could be for you.
The European Research Council (ERC) provides funding for frontier science, irrespective of thematic priorities and within all scientific disciplines, and this for a duration of up to 5 years for individual ERC Grants and up to 6 years for ERC Synergy Grants.
The sole evaluation criterion for proposals is scientific excellence: ERC is looking for individual researchers with a promising or excellent track record (relevant to their scientific age) and a brilliant research idea.
ERC grants are to be taken up in a European host country (i.e. in an EU Member State or Associated Country) but are open to researchers of any nationality.
ERC grant types
The following types of ERC grants are available:
- Starting Grants (1.5 million euro for 5 years, for researchers with 2 to 7 years of postdoctoral experience, 1 Principal Investigator)
- Consolidator Grants (2 million euro for 5 years, for researchers with 7-12 years postdoctoral experience, 1 Principal Investigator)
- Advanced Grants (2.5 million euro for 5 years, for established senior researchers, 1 Principal Investigator)
- Synergy Grants (10 million euro for 6 years, for researchers at any stage in their career, 2-4 Principal Investigators)
Check the ERC website for more details.
The University of Antwerp hosts projects in each ERC grant type. Check it out on this webpage.
What does the University of Antwerp offer you?
As an ERC applicant you will get support from the EU team (Grants Office) in each stage of the application process:
- screening of the applicant’s profile
- strategic advice (e.g. on when to apply)
- annual ERC proposal writing workshop by consultant
- advice on how to write the proposal
- help with setting up the budget
- assistance with ethical and administrative issues
- proofreading of the proposal
- support in preparing the interview.
As a successful ERC grant holder you will get full support and a stimulating environment to help you run your project and build your academic career:
- UAntwerp offers a tenure track or a tenured academic position for selected profiles, the level depending on your track record and the Faculty that will appoint you.
- Your position will be funded by UAntwerp (for selected profiles), not from the ERC grant.
- UAntwerp rewards ERC grant holders with an annual bonus on top of their salary for the duration of the ERC project (with a maximum of 5 years).
- Part of the ERC project's indirect costs will be made available to the grant holder to use autonomously for research purposes.
- UAntwerp allows you to work in a first class research environment, located within the vibrant city of Antwerp, thereby providing you with the required infrastructure and full administrative support to set up your team and run your project.
Interested in applying with UAntwerp or want to know more?
Contact our ERC coordinator Kristof Geeraerts.
ERC applicants are welcomed if they have a project idea that matches the research programme of one or more of the research groups or departments at UAntwerp.Please consult our research overview.