On 28 June 2013, the Flemish Government approved a grant to support young researchers (“subsidie Omkadering Jonge Onderzoekers” - OJO). Within the framework of this grant, the Antwerp Doctoral School launches a call (OJO call) every autumn, via email, to all researchers affiliated with the University of Antwerp to submit proposals for initiatives that address training needs and support of young researchers. The OJO call is tied to the calendar year. Funding applications can be submitted for activities that take place between 1 January and 31 December of the following calendar year. The term ‘young researchers’ refers to PhD researchers and postdoctoral researchers.
Proposals can be submitted in the following categories:
- Interuniversity initiatives: group activities organised by UAntwerp and at least two other Flemish universities, aimed at training young researchers (e.g. interuniversity symposia, summer schools, colloquia, workshops …);
- Domain-specific training: interactive training for young researchers with the aim to deepen their domain-specific and/or methodological knowledge and skills (e.g. interactive courses, workshops …);
- Initiatives focused on career development: initiatives aimed at facilitating and supporting the transition of young researchers to the non-academic job market (e.g. events where young researchers meet with stakeholders from industry and/or other professional sectors, events where young researchers are informed about the expectations in the non-academic job market, workshops that offer career advice from professionals …);
- International research visits: the research visits must include a training component such as following a course, learning techniques or research methods. Purely participating in a conference alone does NOT qualify. This call is aimed at PhD researchers and postdoctoral researchers (up to three years after obtaining a PhD) who can motivate that they have not obtained an FWO travel grant or do not have a bench fee or other funding;
- Faculty initiatives: broad faculty or departmental group activities for young researchers (e.g. welcome days, faculty doctoral days …).
Applicants are encouraged to, if possible, collaborate with partners from the YUFE alliance. This collaboration can take various forms, e.g. a research visit at a YUFE institution, the activity is organised in collaboration with one of the YUFE partners, or the activity is open to young researchers from YUFE institutions.
For additional information regarding the target group, the conditions which a proposed activity must meet, the evaluation (criteria), the budget and the timing, please contact OJOcall@uantwerpen.be.