PhD student, Phase Contrast X-ray Computational Imaging
Departement : Departement Fysica
Regime : Voltijds
Imec-Visionlab, an exciting research group at the University of Antwerp (http://visielab.uantwerpen.be/ ), has an open position for a PhD student to work on developing innovative image reconstruction methods for Phase contrast X-ray Computed Tomography (CT). Tomography is an image reconstruction technique that leans strongly on large-scale numerical mathematics, particularly linear algebra. It has a wide range of applications in industry (nondestructive testing) and science (3D imaging of nanomaterials). In this project, new methods will be developed for edge illumination based X-ray phase contrast tomography. For more info on the technique, please read: https://www.mdpi.com/2313-433X/4/10/113/pdf.
The Vision Lab has unique expertise in the development of algorithms for reconstruction, processing and analysis of imaging data. The working environment is strongly interdisciplinary, combining techniques and insights from Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science. The group has a broad range of national and international collaborations with both academic and industrial partners. Recent imec-VisionLab publications on tomography can be found on http://visielab.uantwerpen.be/research/tomography .
You have a M.Sc. degree in the field of Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering. You love interdisciplinary science, and want to advance the field of dynamic CT with your skills, creativity and novel solutions. You have a good sense of humor and like to develop theory and afterwards code to put your new methods into practice. You also want to tell the world about your findings with sparkling presentations.
- an exciting research trajectory towards a PhD;
- multidisciplinary research: cooperation with strong academic research and industrial partners;
- a world-class research environment with state-of-the-art instrumentation.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until 16 August 2020. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): 1) a motivation letter, 2) a detailed CV (including followed courses, honours, grades, previous work, programming skills, publications, …) 3) contact info of two references 4) a weblink to a short video introducing yourself
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.