The right wing of the majestic and historic 16th-century Hof Van Liere is home to the University of Antwerp's restaurant, the University Club.

Here, we organise convention lunches and dinners. These lunches and dinners can also be served in the convention venues of the Hof van Liere and Grauwzusters.

The University Club is wheelchair accessible.

Contact the University Club 

Opening hours

  • The University Club is open on weekdays between 12:00 and 14:00.
  • The restaurant is also available for groups of 12 guests or more on all evenings from Monday till Friday, subject to reservation. At weekends we welcome groups from 25 guest as well.
  • The University Club is closed during summer and Christmas holidays.


  • The lunch menu consists of an appetizer and a main course for € 41,80. 
  • The menu​​​ includes a selection of appetizers, main courses and desserts. These dishes all have a Mediterranean feel to them, sometimes with an oriental twist. We also offer a selection of drinks, including good quality house wine, water and coffee.
  • Our wine list features several excellent wines of ‘Artevino’.
  • For groups of ten guests or more, we prefer to draw up tailor-made quotations, with options such as a quick lunch menu or a luxurious dinner. We also have alternatives for vegetarians and those with special dietary requirements.


  • The Jan Vanriet Room, our à la carte restaurant, can seat 70 guests.
  • Larger groups of up to 120 guests can be accommodated in the Marcel Mayer Room on the first floor.

Member Card

​The University Club is only open to members of the university, privileged partners and holders of a Club Card.

The following people can apply for a Club Card by sending an email to

  • Alumni 
  • Emeriti 
  • Personnel 
  • Members of the Antwerp University Association 
  • Partners of the University of Antwerp

History of the University Club

The Hof van Liere was built in 1516-1520 for Aert van Liere, who was the Mayor of Antwerp at that time.

  • In 1521, it was renamed "Prinsenhof", or Prince's Court, on the occasion of a visit from Emperor Charles V, who was then still a prince.
  • In 1550-1552, the building became the headquarters of the English guild in Antwerp, which mainly exported English cloth to the Netherlands.
  • The English company used the Hof van Liere until 1590. In 1607, Antwerp's Jesuit order acquired the building for use as a college.
  • After the Jesuit order was disbanded in 1773, the Austrian Government claimed Hof van Liere.
  • In 1777, the building became home to the Royal College, a school for ancient languages.
  • In 1783, the imperial and royal Military Academy, founded by Maria Theresia of Austria, also moved into the edifice. The Academy provided education and lodging for 240 children of military personnel.
  • In 1794, Hof van Liere was converted into a military hospital and used as such for more than a century. The French occupying forces thoroughly remodelled the interior. In fact, they demolished the beautiful building from the inside out and rebuilt it completely.
  • In 1929, the Belgian state sold Hof van Liere to the Society of Jesus. The Jesuits' former building was returned to them in an extremely dilapidated state.
  • In 1930-1932, the architect A. Van der Gucht undertook a radical restoration of the exterior and the interior, restoring the building's original appearance. From then on, the Hogere Handelsschool Sint-Ignatius commercial college was established there.
  • During and after the Second World War, Hof van Liere was used by the Red Cross. It was also a training centre for German officers between 1942 and 1944, and a transit camp for the Royal Navy in 1944 and 1945.
  • In 1945, the commercial college resumed its educational activities. In 1965 the school became the University Faculties of St Ignatius. Then, in 2003, it became known as the University of Antwerp, following a merger with other universities. Jesuits continued to live in this part of Hof van Liere until 2005.