Residence permit extension

If you are staying in Belgium for an extended period, your residence permit must be renewed. This can be done through the procedure with the Relocation Loket and your contactperson at the HR Department or through direct contact with the Immigration Office in your local area. For the renewal you can contact your HR officer or you can make an appointment online with the Immigration Office.

As from January 2016, the HR Department offers a service to employees (not PhD students) and assists to obtain the residence permit. This service is only possible for employees who will live in the greater city of Antwerp.

Do you live in Antwerp? Contact the HR officer to start the renewal procedure or you can also contact the Immigration Office through the online procedure. If you start the procedure online, within two weeks you will receive a letter stating which documents you need to take with you. If you have not received this letter after two weeks, you are advised to contact the Immigration Office.

You don't live in Antwerp? contact the local city of your place of residence and request a renewal based on the documents provided by your HR officer. 

Documents needed for renewal:

  • Completed information file (document can be obtained by the ciity or here you may find the document from Antwerp)
  • Coloured copy of the current ID card
  • Document with proof of employment, depending on the statute at the University of Antwerp (contract, work permit B or proof of exemption)
  • Proof of enough financial means (copy of the salary slips of the previous months)

Additional documents may be requested by the Immigration Office. 



International Staff Office Campus Middelheim - building C
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerp
Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 49