Student Visa: apply in time!

When planning to stay in Belgium for more than 90 days all students with a Non-EEA nationality need to apply for a long-term visa (visa type D) at the Belgian embassy or consulate in their current country of residence before leaving for Belgium. Check out all the information on visa formalities and applications.

All students that need a visa will receive an invitation letter by email once their application has been approved.

Proof of sufficient funds

If you need to apply for a Visa, you will need to prove that you have sufficient funds to stay in Antwerp. 

This can be done in 3 ways: 

  • An attestation of a grant, scholarship or loan 
  • An 'agreement for acceptance of financial responsibility' (Annex 32 in Dutch). Provided by a sponsor.
  • A blocked account procedure (Proof of Solvency)
    Here you will have to block an amount of 1000€ per month of stay on the bank account of the University of Antwerp. This advance will be reimbursed on a monthly basis once you arrive in Antwerp.
    Note that the full amount must be added to the university's account while applying for your visa and will remain unavailable until a few weeks after arrival in Antwerp.

We have noticed that most students will use the 3rd option. You will receive more information by email about this procedure once your application has been fully approved.