The Belgian Government has decided that Ukrainian nationals seeking refuge in Belgium will receive temporary protection with immediate effect. Many Ukrainian students are looking at opportunities to start or continue their university studies elsewhere, including at the University of Antwerp. Most of our Bachelor programmes are taught in Dutch. The Dutch-taught programmes can be followed after a one-year intensive Dutch language courseMaster programmes are offered in Dutch and English.  The next intake for all programmes is in September 2022

The admission requirements for these programmes remain unchanged, however the application deadlines have been adjusted to reflect the current situation. 

Ukrainian nationals

For our admission purposes, all Ukrainian nationals will be considered as EEA nationals. The tuition fees payable will be equivalent to those for EEA nationals if you have temporary protection status at the time of enrollment. ​

Application to the University of Antwerp is through the online application tool Mobility Online and is free of charge.  The academic year 2022-2023 starts on 26 September 2022.

Considering the circumstances, the application deadline was extended to 30 June 2022. If you are currently in Belgium you may contact to discuss your options. 

Applications for the next academic year, 2023-2024 will open online on 1 November 2022. 

International students in Ukraine

We are aware that many international students who were studying in Ukraine are now looking at alternatives for continuing their studies outside Ukraine. A simple transfer to our university is not an option, as most of our programmes are taught in Dutch. In addition, if you don't have a high school diploma or Bachelor degree from a higher education institution in Belgium, the Netherlands or Luxembourg, you need to follow the admission procedure. The deadline for non-EEA students to start in 2022-2023 was 1 March 2022. 

In particular, for students pursuing a Medicine degree, transferring to our medicine programme is not self-evident. The programme is taught in Dutch. If you don’t have a medical degree yet, then you will need to take an entrance examination. To study medicine in Flanders (Belgium), you must pass and rank favourably in a competitive entrance exam organised by the Ministry of the Flemish Community. All information about this entrance examination is available on (only in Dutch). 

We urge you to look at alternatives in the neighbouring countries and to contact your national governments for special measures that may be taken for students in your situation.