IOB organises several types of alumni activities to allow for interaction between IOB staff, alumni and even the broader development community:
- meet-and-greet sessions (informal get-togethers between IOB staff and alumni in-country):
- alumni in action–talks (an alumnus/a gives a lunch seminar for IOB students & staff);
- alumni IMPACT award seminar (after an open call for applications, the alumnus/a that has generated the most development impact is invited to present his/her work in Antwerp);
- in-country seminars in the South. These seminars bring together IOB alumni (and staff) in an IOB ‘core’ country (Ethiopia, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Tanzania, Uganda, DR Congo, Philippines and Vietnam) in a seminar with diverging formats depending on alumni demand: alumni present their work (poster sessions, presentations in seminar format, training workshops) and a networking event to facilitate synergies (the local (Belgian) development actors are also invited) to materialise.
Past meet- and-greet sessions this year
- Antwerp (Belgium) | IOB community event for IOB students, alumni and staff : 9 June 2023
- Uganda | Alumni seminar in Uganda (Kampala): 18 February 2023
- Tanzania (Dar Es Salaam) | Alumni event: Citizen Science in Tanzania …the new magic bullet? : 9 February 2023
- Ecuador | Alumni get together in Ecuador (Quito): 20 October 2022
- Colombia | Alumni get together in Colombia (Bogotá): 24 October 2022
- Belgium | Alumni get together in Belgium (Brussels): 24 November 2022
- Tanzania | On the 3rd of March 2019 the annual Tanzanian IOB alumni event took place at the Sea Shell Hotel Dar Es Salaam. The event brought together IOB alumni from Tanzania, IOB staff and some Belgian Development actors to get to know one another or see each other again after many years. Alumni first participated in a seminar in which they were presented with a broad update on IOB activities and research. Afterwards all participants were invited to participate in a networking brunch.
- Ethiopia | On the 5th of April 2019 the first Ethiopian IOB alumni seminar took place at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kassanchiz, Addis Ababa. The event brought together IOB alumni from Ethiopia, IOB staff and Belgian Development actors to get to know one another or see each other again after many years. This event also marked the start of a formal IOB Ethiopia alumni chapter and enables students and staff to discuss the way forward. Afterwards all participants were invited to the network reception and walking dinner.
- Vietnam | On 10 May 2019, an IOB alumni event was organised in Vietnam. The get together took place in the Vuon Garden in Hanoi and brought together Vietnamese alumni to (re)connect to each other and IOB as well as the Belgian Embassy. Alumni were given an opportunity to share their ‘IOB story’.
- Nicaragua | On 16 and 17 August, IOB alumni in Nicaragua were invited to participate in a two day alumni seminar, offering face to face and online presentations on Evaluation topics ( i.e. realist evaluation and impact evaluation). Alumni who participated received a certificate of attendance. Additionally, alumni were given the opportunity to share their IOB impact story and link up with other alumni in a networking event. Invitation of seminar (hyperlink to invitation)
- Belgium | Mr. Daniel Agramont (Bolivia) is the first alumni keynote speaker at the IOB graduation ceremony. Watch the video here.
- Uganda | On 30 September 2019 an IOB alumni seminar was organised in Kampala, Uganda. The seminar will provide alumni with an update on research at IOB, an opportunity to share their impact story and networking with other alumni at the alumni diner.
- Nicaragua | On 9 February 2018, the Nicaraguan alumni chapter had an informal meet and greet session with the alumni and Prof. Johan Bastiaensen in Managua, Nicaragua. It was a joyful encounter and further plans for an IOB alumni seminar in Nicaragua were discussed.
- Philippines | on March 20th 2018 IOB organised an alumni seminar in Manila. The occasion also marked the start of the cooperation between IOB and De La Salle University (DLSU) in the Philippines, with Prof. N. Holvoet and Dr. Alellie Sobrevinas as promotors, which culminated in the signing of the MoU. At the seminar, several IOB and DLSU staff presented their research during the morning session, while IOB alumni Karen Serrano (2016, GLOB) and Mary Ann Manahan (2015, GLOB) shared their research findings with the audience. A poster reception offered the opportunity to showcase even more IOB alumni work. The following days, Prof. Holvoet and Sara Dewachter were happy to meet many other IOB alumni at a lunch meeting at NEDA (National Economic Development Authority) and at ADB (Asian Development Bank). This event only marked the formalization of what was already a very vibrant alumni network.
- Belgium | On the 21st of March, IOB invited alumna Rose Nambooze (GLOB 2010 and Founder of Angel's center for Children with special needs in Uganda) to present her work on "Piloting inclusive education in Uganda, threats and opportunities in increasing access to education for children with disabilities" to the IOB students. Additionally, Caroline Masquillier (post-doctoral researcher at UAntwerp and founder of Field, a creative science communication platform that helps scientists of all domains to communicate their research results and the value of their work in an engaging and creative way) gave a presentation on "Using photo voice as a tool". In her presentation she explained how the photo voice methodology was useful in capturing the experiences and life stories of the children and parents of children with disabilities in Uganda. Afterwards, IOB students and staff were invited to the opening of the exhibition Uganda’s Special Needs, a photo exhibition documenting the lives of children with disabilities. The latter showcased the photos and the stories captured through photo voice techniques some of the aspects of lives of children with disabilities in Uganda.
- Tanzania | On the 11th of May 2018, another alumni event was organised by IOB together with the Belgian Embassy in Tanzania and the University of Ghent. The embassy invited all Tanzanian Alumni of Belgian Universities to the first alumni network event at the Best Western Coral Beach Hotel in Dar Es Salaam. The programme consisted of an individual alumni chapter meeting (separate for IOB alumni), followed by the welcoming speech by H. E. Paul Cartier, Ambassador of Belgium to Tanzania, the Keynote speech by Hon. Prof. Joyce Ndalichako, Minister of Education, Science, Technology and Vocational training and a Poster reception with presentations by alumni and walking dinner.
- Belgium | On 30 March 2017, Mr. Guggi Laryea (alumnus 1996) presented ‘ The World Bank: History and current role from an insider’s perspective’ during a lunch seminar at IOB. Guggi works at the World Bank (Brussels Office) as European Civil Society and European Parliament Relations Lead and External and Corporate Relations.
- Belgium | On 28 april 2017, a session on ‘Life after IOB’ was organized. The session is meant for IOB students, alumni and staff interested in finding out more about opportunities with regard to PhD studies, internships, vacancies and more.
- Nicaragua | On 4 August 2017, Johan Bastiaensen hosted an informal alumni meet and greet session in Nitlapan, Nicaragua.
- Tanzania | On 20 & 21 august 2017, an IOB alumni seminar was organised at Mzumbe University, Morogoro, Tanzania. This seminar consisted of a social event (reception & dinner) on Sunday evening and for those interested several workshop training sessions and a poster was organised on Monday.
- Uganda | In November 2017, Nathalie Holvoet and Sara Dewachter hosted a meet an greet session in Kampala, Uganda. Find the alumni booklet here.
- Nicaragua | On 26 February 2016, Prof. Johan Bastiaensen hosted an alumni meet and greet session in Managua, Nicaragua.
- Uganda | On 17 March 2016, Rose Mutumba (IOB alumna) presented some of her work with regard to children with special needs in Uganda. More information: Angle’s centre for children with special needs
- Belgium | On 31 May 2016, a former IOB student was invited to come to IOB to present his work to all IOB students and staff. A session on ‘Life after IOB’ was also organized. The session was meant for IOB students and alumni interested in finding out more about opportunities with regard to PhD studies, internships, vacancies, etc.
- Ecuador | In June 2016 Prof. Germán Calfat hosted an alumni meet and greet session in Quito, Ecuador.
- Vietnam | In August 2016 Prof. Nathalie Holvoet hosted a meet and greet session (during her family holiday) in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Burundi | On 8 February 2015, Prof Stef Vandeginste hosted a meet and greet session in Bujumbura, Burundi.
- Rwanda | On 27 March 2015, Dr. Bert Ingelaere hosted the meet and greet session in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Belgium | On 25 June 2015 an IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Uganda | February 21, 2014. Uganda- Kampala. Alumni networking event (click here to access the alumni booklet and power point presentation). Sara Dewachter hosted this session at the Fairway hotel, Kampala. Some thirty IOB alumni participated in the event. Click here to join the Ugandan Alumni FB group. Download the Ugandan alumni booklet here.
- Philippines | On 5 December 2014, Germán Calfat hosted an IOB alumni seminar in Manila, Philippines. IOB alumni seminar. IOB professor, PhD students , alumni and external speakers presented research papers.
- Cameroun | On 3 October 2014, Dr. Rogers Orock hosted an IOB alumni meet and greet session in Yaoundé, Cameroun.
- Tanzania | September 17, 2013. Tanzania - Mzumbe University (Nathalie Holvoet and Katrien Van Aelst). On the occasion of the start of a new programme of institutional cooperation between the Flemish Interuniversity Council and Mzumbe University
- Benin | An IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in Benin on Wednesday the 11th of April 2012. Prof. Marijke Verpoorten hosted the meet and greet session in Cotonou.
- Kenya | An IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in Kenya on Thursday the 19th of April 2012. Prof. Danny Cassimon hosted the meet and greet session in 'the Mukatan Garden Café (Fairview Hotel) in Nairobi.
- Rwanda | An IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in Rwanda on Sunday the 5th of June 2011. Prof Holvoet hosted the meet and greet session in Hotel Mille Collines in Kigali.
- Democratic Republic of Congo | An IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Tuesday the 7th of June 2011. Prof. De Herdt and Donatien Kabanga hosted the meet and greet session in ‘Halle de la Gombe' (Café).
- Burundi | An IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in Burundi on Friday the 10 th of June 2011. Prof Filip Reyntjens hosted the meet and greet session in Hotel Amahoro in Bujumbura.
- Ecuador | An IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in Ecuador on Friday the 7th of October 2011. Prof Germán Calfat hosted the meet and greet session in Universidad Católica del Ecuador.
- Uganda | An IOB ‘Meet and Greet’ session was organised in Uganda on Sunday the 23rd of October 2011. Prof. Nathalie Holvoet hosted the meet and greet session in 'the Cayenne' in Kampala.