We kindly invite you to take part in (parts of) our two-day conference 'Privilege on a warming planet: climate change, racism, and patterns of denial'.
In this conference, we aim to think about the effects that colonialism and imperialism have on the understanding of, and response to, climate change. We analyze the concept of ‘climate privilege’ as described in Climate Change is Racist by Jeremy Williams and investigate the consequences of Leon Sealey Huggins’ claim that COPs mainly prioritize the interest of imperial elites on our thinking about climate change.
What are the implications of understanding climate breakdown as racist? What does acknowledging the effects of colonialism and imperialism imply for communication around climate change? Can we talk about ‘climate privilege’? Are there similar mechanisms at play that prevent privileged white people from acknowledging both the disastrous effects of climate change as well as the ongoing effects of colonialism, slavery, and imperialism? In this interactive two-day conference we’ll dive into these subjects and more!
To enrol for parts of the program, please fill in this google form: https://forms.gle/z5CfGEjeTxyicWKu9
To ask for more information, get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org!
Hybrid conference 'Privilege on a warming planet: climate change, racism, and patterns of denial'.
Zoom and at the city campus of the University of Antwerp
Thursday 23d and Friday 24th of September
Anneleen Kenis, Jeremy Williams, Leon Sealey-Huggins
- 11:00 - 12:15 Opening of conference and discussion of two articles of Leon Sealey Huggins in subgroups
- 13:45 - 15:00 Discussion of the book of Jeremy Williams in subgroups
- 15:30 - 16:30 Book presentation/lecture and Q&A Jeremy
- 17:00 - 18:00 Lecture and Q&A Leon
- 20:00 - 21:30 Panel discussion Climate Change is Racist - Jeremy and Leon, moderated by Harriet
Conference for beginning academic philosophers (undergraduate- PhD welcome)
- 11:00 - 12:00 Opening and Anthropo-who? - Jasmijn Leeuwenkamp
- 13:30 - 15:00 Privilege and denial - Vanessa Weihgold and Ewoud Vandepitte
- 15:30 - 17:00 Colonialism and Climate Change - Archana Ramanujam
and Elias Koenig
- 20:00 - 21:30 Lecture Anneleen Kenis