Translational Neurosciences includes these research groups:
• Otorhinolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery (prof. dr. Olivier Vanderveken)
Research into snoring and sleep-apnea, head-neck oncology, thyroid gland
• Experimental Laboratory of Translational Neuroscience and Dento Oto Laryngology (prof. dr. Vincent Van Rompaey)
Research into (1) fundamental aspects of hearing and vestibular function on the central nervous system; (2) innovative treatments for hearing loss and vestibular loss.
• Lab Dental Materials (prof. dr. Marc Braem)
Research into (1) dental anti-snoring and anti-apnea therapies; and (2) bonding of dental composites to dentin and enamel.
• Neurology (prof. dr. Patrick Cras)
Research in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob's disease and Parkinson's disease, and metabolic and hereditary diseases of the nervous system.
• Neurosurgery (prof. dr. Tomas Menovsky)
Research into traumatic brain injury; and treatment of cerebral aneurysms: development of bioactive implantable polymers.
• Ophthalmology (prof. dr. Carina Koppen)
Research into (1) tissue engineering, regenerative medicine of the cornea, eye cell culture and transplantation, by research group Argos. And (2) irregularly deformed cornea, straylight and driving ability, biometric modelling of the eye, by research group Volantis.
• Oral and maxillofacial surgery (prof. dr. Nasser Nadjmi)
Research into mesenchymal stem cell therapy in the treatment of alveolar cleft defects.
• Communication and Swallowing Disorders (prof. dr. Marc De Bodt)
Research into assessment and treatment of voice and voice disorders, dysphagia, motor speech, tongue strength and facial paralysis.