This 2-day miniworkshop on May 30-31, 2022 aims at bringing together junior and senior researchers working in differential geometry, geometric mechanics and related topics.
In the afternoon of Monday May 30, there will be a public PhD defense, to which all speakers and participants are wholeheartedly invited. All the other talks will take place on May 31.
Participation is free. However, we ask you to register before May 23 via this google form.
Speakers and Program
- David Martin de Diego (ICMAT, Spain), Retraction maps and symplectic integration.
- Geoff Prince (LaTrobe University, Australia), Covariant derivatives for Ehresmann connections.
- Zoltan Muzsnay (University of Debrecen, Hungary), Almost all Finsler metrics have infinite-dimensional holonomy group.
- David Saunders (Lepage Research Institute, Slovakia), Linearizing connections - the jet approach.
- Marco Zambon (KULeuven, Belgium), Multisymplectic observables and higher Courant algebroids.
- Marta Farre Puiggali (University of Antwerp, Belgium), Forced mechanical systems preserving first integrals.
- Sandor Hajdu (University of Antwerp, Belgium), Jacobi fields, conjugate points and nonlinear splittings in Finsler geometry and related fields.
Here is a list with the abstracts of the talks.
Venue and travel directions
Here and also here you can find how to get to Campus Middelheim. But: due to traffic works the stops have been replaced by `temporary stops'.
- If you come from the city center (railway station Antwerpen Centraal): Take Tram 15 (direction Boechout) at 'Diamant' (This tram station is located underground Antwerpen Centraal). Get off at 'Koninklijkelaan' and walk to Campus Middelheim by this route.
- If you come from railway station Antwerpen Berchem: Take bus 32 (direction `Edegem') in the tunnel next to the station (if you leave the station through the back door, it's on your right). When you see first a cemetery (Begraafplaats Berchem) and then a hospital (ZNA Middelheim) on your right, you need to get off on `Prins Boudewijnlaan'. Now walk back to Campus Middelheim by this route.
Lectures will take place in Room M.G.005, except for the defense in M.G.010.
- Malika Belrhazi (University of Antwerp)
- Edward Bryden (University of Antwerp)
- Joaquim Brugues (University of Antwerp)
- Frans Cantrijn (Ghent University)
- Marta Farre Puiggali (University of Antwerp)
- David Santiago Gómez Cobos (Ghent University)
- Yannick Gullentops (University of Antwerp)
- Sandor Hajdu (University of Antwerp)
- Sonja Hohloch (University of Antwerp)
- Andrea Vanessa Hurtado Quiceno (Ghent University)
- Senne Ignoul (University of Antwerp)
- David Martin de Diego (ICMAT)
- Tom Mestdag (University of Antwerp)
- Guner Muarem (University of Antwerp)
- Zoltan Muzsnay (University of Debrecen)
- Geoff Prince (La Trobe University)
- Kristof Rose (Ghent University)
- Willy Sarlet (Ghent University)
- David Saunders (Lepage Research Institute)
- Marco Zambon (KULeuven)
Organizers and sponsors
This workshop is organized by Sandor Hajdu, Sonja Hohloch and Tom Mestdag.
It is funded by the University of Antwerp and the EoS project "Symplectic techniques in differential geometry".