This lecture opens a series of workshops on corporate governance and short-termism. The lecture and workshops and are taught byy Tom Vos, visiting professor with the Jean-Pierre Blumberg Chair at the University of Antwerp. The lecture and the workshops are all free and accessible to both students and practitioners, and will be taught in English.
In the opening lecture on 21 February, (6 p.m. - 8 p.m.) Tom Vos will give an overview of the evidence on short-termism in corporate governance. He will also discuss what has been done in the past to combat short-termism in corporate governance, whether these reforms have been effective, and what else should be done. Several hotly debated topics in corporate governance will be discussed, such as shareholder activism, executive compensation, loyalty voting rights and stakeholder capitalism. The focus will be on listed corporations in Belgium, but evidence from around the world will be considered.
In the second part of the opening lecture, several prominent practitioners will comment on the problem of short-termism in corporate governance from their own experience, including:
- Charles-Antoine Leunen (partner Capital Markets and Banking Group, Linklaters)
- Bruno Laforce (Chief Legal Officer, Tinc)
- Arie Van Hoe (Executive Manager Law and Business, VBO-FEB; member of the Corporate Governance Committee)
- Sandra Gobert (Executive director, Guberna; Partner, Sub Rosa Legal; member of the Corporate Governance Committee)
Finally, if the corona measures allow, a reception will be offered after the opening lecture.
- University of Antwerp
- Online (livestream)
Other workshops on the topic
The topics touched upon by the opening lecture will be explored in more detail in the several workshops that follow the opening lecture. These workshops will be of a more interactive nature, allowing for a debate on campus or online.
- Wednesday 2 March 2022: share buybacks, dividends and investment
- Wednesday 9 March 2022: shareholder structure: insider and institutional ownership
- Wednesday 16 March 2022: hostile takeovers and takeover defenses
- Wednesday 23 March 2022: executive compensation
- Wednesday 30 March 2022: shareholder activism (part I)
- Wednesday 20 April 2022: shareholder activism (part II – negotiation exercise)
- Wednesday 27 April 2022: shareholder stewardship and ESG
- Wednesday 4 May 2022: multiple voting rights and loyalty voting rights
- Wednesday 11 May 2022: financial reporting and sustainability disclosures
- Wednesday 18 May 2022: the corporate purpose and benefit corporations.
All workshops will take place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Participation is free, but registration is required.
OVB, IBJ, Compliance officers FSMA (1 point per hour).
Lawyers, in-house legal counsels, board members, investment bankers, investors, academics, and everyone interested in understanding corporate governance.
- A Covid Safe Ticket must be presented when present on campus.
- Wearing a face mask (surgical or FFP2) is mandatory as soon as you enter the campus.