1. Annual re-enrolment
2. Creating your ORCID ID
All doctoral candidates have to create their own ORCID ID. The procedure is explained on the website of the Central Library Office.
3. Submission progress report on the PhD research
The progress of your doctoral research is managed by your faculty/institute and will be evaluated by your individual PhD commission (IPC).
The procedure for the submission differs per faculty/institute. Some faculties require an annual report, in others it may be less frequent. Consult your faculty PhD regulations or the administrative contact person for more information. They will notify you about what is expected and when it is expected. Make sure to keep an eye on your student email account!
4. Doctoral study programme
The doctoral study programme is mandatory at the University of Antwerp, and has to be finalised before the composition of the doctoral jury. You can find more information on how the doctoral study programme can be finalised in Preparing the defence, step 2.
5. Submission annual progress report doctoral study programme
The report regarding the doctoral study programme is managed by the Antwerp Doctoral School and evaluated by a peer review commission consisting of members of your faculty/institute.
! Please note: the following faculties/institutes manage this report independently. Consult the administrative contact person in case of questions. Also have a look at the faculty PhD regulations (deadlines may vary!):
- Faculty of Law;
- Faculty of Business and Economics;
- Institute of Development Policy.
Each academic year, PhD researchers at the University of Antwerp must report on their progress of the doctoral study programme. This progress report needs to be submitted annually in SisA. The undertaken activities need to be registered in SisA one by one. Even if you did not undertake any activities or do not wish to report on them this year, you need to submit a report in SisA (you can simply check the box "I do not wish to submit any activities this year" and this will also be considered a valid report). The progress report may contain 30 activities per year. If you want to submit more activities, please contact the Antwerp Doctoral School.
The deadline for this report is 1 May at 23:59h of the current academic year. After that date, it is not possible to submit your report anymore and you will need to submit your activities the next year. You will be contacted by the Antwerp Doctoral School (ADS) via email with regard to approaching deadlines, so please make sure to regularly check your student email account. If you do not frequently look at this mailbox, you can create a rule in your account to forward emails automatically to another account.
The progress report on the doctoral study programme is, for most faculties, managed by the Antwerp Doctoral School and evaluated in May-June by a peer review commission consisting of members of your faculty/institute.
STEP 1: registering activities in SisA
! Please note: ADS courses are added automatically to your overview so DON'T add these manually. (Depending on how many sessions are organized, it may take until the end of the academic year before certain ADS courses appear in your overview.)
- continuous portfolio: you can register activities one by one all year round, so as soon as you have performed an activity, you can add it to SisA. You can submit the report at any time between January 1st and May 1st (keep the deadline of May 1st - 23:59 pm in mind!)
- proof required (supporting documents), see below: You need to upload your proofs for the activity immediately in SisA. Without valid proof, the activity will be rejected. (Only include activities that have already happened.) Extra information to your activities can best be added in English
- The procedure to insert your activities can be found in the Helpdesk.
- Don't forget to submit your report on time! (see below)
No activities yet?
Go to the tab 'report activities', click 'to submit', then check the box 'I do not wish to submit activities this year', add a short motivation and confirm your submission.
1A. Crucial documents for adding activities in SisA
The following documents are crucial aids to help you fill in your progress report of the doctoral study programme:
- the faculty PhD regulations or points table (for checking your relevant points system!) and additional guidelines (please note that these will be fully integrated in the updated faculty PhD regulations);
- SisA manual;
- info about valid supporting documents (see below);
- the competence profile;
- FAQs (Helpdesk).
1B. Valid proof for activities
To validate an activity for the doctoral study programme, clear proof needs to be provided (i.e. URL(s) or supporting document(s)).
- From academic year 2018-2019 onwards, when new activities are inserted in SisA, the matching (electronic) supporting document needs to be uploaded directly into SisA, or a URL link needs to be provided to a webpage with valid proof. The activities that are approved by the peer review committee in SisA are already proven so when you are completing the doctoral study programme, no further proof needs to be provided.
- For activities that have been included in progress reports during previous academic years, a valid supporting document must be provided when you are completing the doctoral study programme. Proof must be provided electronically (via ZIP file, Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc.).
Every supporting document must clearly show what activity it is for, on which date(s) it took place and who participated. Your name must clearly be stated as a participant. Examples of valid supporting documents include (pdf files/scans):
- lists of participants;
- programmes and schedules (of conferences, events, ...);
- received certificates;
- first pages of published articles or their DOI code;
- a letter confirming the acceptance of articles that are not published yet;
- academic bibliography/reference lists;
- registration/application forms;
- emails confirming the participation of e.g. conferences, events,... (save email as a PDF file);
- signature from the titular of classes you have taught;
- for research stays: email conversation with the host institution about your stay;
- Invitations and proofs of registration are not considered to be valid proof seeing as they don't automatically lead to participation to an activity.
- Websites are subject to updates and changes, especially zoom links. Make sure to provide a second valid proof.
- With regard to e.g. conferences, next to an URL, you can add a printscreen that clearly proves your participation. Make sure that your name and the context are clearly mentioned.
- If you don't have proof for certain activities, a signed confirmation from your supervisor suffices. However, it is not possible to prove the whole doctoral study programme solely with the supervisor's signature.
STEP 2: submitting the annual progress report
Between 1 January and 1 May you can submit your progress report of the doctoral study programme in SisA. Please follow the required steps that as explained in the Helpdesk.
Make sure you only submit after you added all activities for the current academic year. If you submitted your report too early by accident, you can send an email to DoctoralSchool@uantwerpen.be.
STEP 3: Evaluation of progress report
After you have submitted your annual progress report of the doctoral study programme, a peer review commission consisting of members of your faculty/department/institute will evaluate the reported activities (are they relevant for the doctoral study programme? Is the number of suggested points correct? Is the competence category OK?). When they have fully checked your report, you will notice that the status of the report will change from 'Pending' to 'Finalized'. You can then consult the reviewed report in SisA for feedback, and will see that your points total has been updated (see STEP 4).
In case you want to be part of this commission, please send an email to DoctoralSchool@uantwerpen.be.
The evaluation takes place in the months of May/June of the current academic year. Afterwards, you are informed via email by the Antwerp Doctoral School (ADS) that the reports of your faculty/department/institute are evaluated. This email is sent to your student email account.
STEP 4: Consulting the progress report
Consult the manual on the Helpdesk for a step-by-step guide.
Download an overview of all inserted activities
- Log on to SisA with your student account.
- Click on 'ePhD', 'Doctoral training' then on 'manage activities'.
- By clicking the button 'overview points until '17-'18' and Excel-overview including all your submitted activities is automatically downloaded (by the way, this list can also be used to complete your doctoral study programme).
Consult reports per academic year
If you would like to obtain an overview of the activities only for a specific year please go to the tab 'ePhD', 'Doctoral training' then click 'report activities'. Select the requested term and you can find the report of this term with a listing of the points and activities. Rejected activities will contain feedback.
You cannot download an overview of a separate year, only of the complete doctoral study programme as described above.