Below you will find an overview of courses within UAntwerp that can contribute to your doctoral training programme, supported by the Antwerp Doctoral School (ADS):
- (Teaching) Assistant Training
- Bachelor and Master Courses
- Certificate Laboratory Animal Science
- ICT skills: OASE
- Language Training
- Nature Masterclasses online platform
- Science for everyone
- Statua: Center for Statistics at the University of Antwerp
The Centre of Expertise for Higher Education (ECHO) from the University of Antwerp organizes a training for new assistants. Participants are supported when developing competences regarding the preparation, implementation and testing of their courses.
For more information about this training, see this webpage.
Did you know that it's possible to add Bachelor and Master courses to your doctoral study programme?
- You have not received credits for these courses before.
- You can only choose Bachelor or Master courses from a different research domain than your own bachelor/first cycle.
- You need to receive approval from your supervisor before enrolling in a Bachelor or Master course.
- Enrol by contacting the lecturer or secretariat responsible for the administration of the course concerned.
- Mention specifically that you would like to add the course to your doctoral study programme.
- The student administration of the faculty will place the course under your doctoral enrolment. This way you will see the timetable information in SisA and you will receive access to the course in the BlackBoard learning environment.
- Enrolment is free of charge and it is not necessary to contact the Registrar's Office for a credit contract. Consequently you won't officially obtain the credits and won't sit the exam.
At the end of the course, you should receive an attendance certificate from the lecturer concerned (or the secretariat) for the contact hours of the course. You can use this to add the activity to your doctoral study programme file.
Need the Blackboard learning environment? If access to the Blackboard learning environment is required, the teacher can add you to the corresponding course in BlackBoard.
Please note: If you wish to obtain credits, you need to enrol separately in a credit contract and will need to pay the tuition fee required for this course. In case of questions, contact the Registrar's Office via their Helpdesk.
CalcUA is the core facility for high performance computing at the University of Antwerp.
CalcUA offers, next to its compute infrastructure, following services
- Linux and HPC training for researchers
- "Tips and Tricks" sessions
- Assistance and support for computationally intensive research
CalcUA’s infrastructure is integrated into the Flemish Supercomputer Center (VSC).
The Laboratory Animal Science course (6 ECTS) is a short-term training programme, which runs in the first semester.
PhD students, researchers, professionals and post-doctoral researchers from the life sciences who work with laboratory animals must hold a valid Laboratory Animal Science certificate. Upon completion of the Laboratory Animal Science course you will be awarded a Function B (FELASA) certificate.
The course is taught in English and all course material is provided in English.
Are you looking for information, advice or support on Business & Valorisation?
This pillar focuses on the creation of impact through the valorisation of research. The basics programme 'Dive into Business' is a customized offer to meet the valorisation needs of researchers. It supports researchers in creating impact through translating their research to society. This impact can either be economic, societal, or both.
The course fits in with the competence profile for PhD students and counts as a valid activity in the doctoral study program.
It should be stressed that these courses are an unique opportunity for self-development as well.
Registration for the basics programme is open. Please be aware that there is a limited number of places!
More information on Pintra.
Dept. Research & Innovation
Are you a Master student and interested in research? Are you considering to do a PhD after your Master studies or do you want to learn more about what this entails? Or are you graduated and/or did you start your PhD already, but are you looking for additional support?
Then Dive-into-PhD is for you!
Before the start of the new ‘Dive-into-PhD’ training programme you can consult an Introduction webinar. This is specifically interesting for Master students who want to know more about conducting a PhD. Afterwards, if you still have doubts or questions, you can register for an extra Q&A session.
If you are really interested the Dive-into-PhD training programme can be further pursued.
Are you looking for information, advice or support on Research & Proposal Writing?
What are the different steps involved in project writing and how can I find funds for my project?
Dive-into-Projects includes basic training on research and proposal writing, as well as specific courses, workshops and guidance (Deep Dive-into-Projects).
More information on Pintra (after login).
Dept. Research & Innovation
Need to improve your ICT-skills?
Good news! As from February 1st 2022, the Antwerp Doctoral School offers PhD researchers a new online tool to improve their software skills, at their own pace and in their own space, via OASE. OASE will replace the basic software courses that were offered by the Antwerp Doctoral School in the past.
What is OASE?
OASE is an online knowledge platform for Office, Office 365 and Windows 10.
- Choose from more than 1000 short animations, learning programmes, articles and webinars
- Always up-to-date with explanations about the latest applications and functionalities
- All content is available in Dutch, French, English and German.
Want to see a peek preview?
Want to sign up for OASE?
A license for the OASE platform is free of charge for PhD researchers at UAntwerp and will remain valid until 31/01/2023. We highly recommend you to make extensive use of this opportunity!
You can apply for a license by completing this electronic form. The activation of your OASE account will follow after 7 days at the latest.
OASE is a new project for UAntwerpen. The users of this learning platform will be asked to evaluate it on a regular basis. In case of satisfaction and sufficient interest, this project will be continued as from February 2023.
Linguapolis: the language institute of the University of Antwerp
Linguapolis organises and offers:
1. Academic English and Academic Dutch
- Giving Presentations in English: free, check the course offer of the ADS
- Writing Academic Papers in English: free, check the course offer of the ADS
- Communicating effectively in an academic context: free, check the course offer of the ADS
- Snellezen: free, check the course offer of the ADS (only in Dutch!)
- Academic English: to pay, refundable through educational credit
- individual writing coaching: to pay, refundable through educational credit
- language tests: to pay
- basisvaardigheden Academisch Nederlands: free
2. General language courses
- Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish & Dutch as a Foreign Language: to pay, refundable through educational credit.
3. Individual writing coaching
For more information, consult the Linguapolis website.
Tel. +32 3 265 48 03
Altissia: online language courses
This academic year, UAntwerp will be offering Altissia’s online language courses again. With the new mobile app, you can now work on your language skills anywhere and anytime.
Be sure to watch the guided tour video for the app version and/or the PC version.
On Altissia’s revamped 2.0. platform, you can study as many as 22 languages! The extensive range of languages includes: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian, Czech, Polish, Slovak, Slovenian, Croatian, Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Estonian, Greek, Latvian and Lithuanian.
The language levels are based on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR A1 to C1). All language levels are offered, but not for all languages. You can study the following languages up to level C1: Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish and Italian; Portuguese up to level B2. The other languages are offered at a beginner level.
The Antwerp Doctoral School purchased 100 subscriptions for PhD students from the Universiteit Antwerpen. New subscriptions will become available each year from October 1st.
- (Re-)enrol as a PhD student for this academic year.
- Do you have a student account AND a staff account? Then you can register for free by using your staff account.
Do you only have a student account? You need to tick on the student registration form that you are a PhD student. You pay 10€ which you can reclaim through the educational credit.
- Your registration is only definitive as soon as you have logged in for the first time to the online platform.
You can activate your account as from October 1st.
We will apply the ‘first come, first served’ principle. So be quick to subscribe!
Your subscription is valid until 30 September.
Professional development training for researchers — via online courses and workshops
From 2023, UAntwerpen researchers will have access to the Nature Masterclasses platform.
The content of the Nature Masterclasses is also understandable for researchers in social sciences and humanities. Although the exercises in the courses exist of examples from the exact and life sciences, it is doable to make the exercises with a background in social sciences and humanities. It is definitely an added value to take courses from the Nature Masterclasses course offer to improve your professional development and research skills!
What to expect?
Nature Masterclasses provides professional development training for researchers delivered by Nature Portfolio journal editors, experienced researchers, funders and professionals.
Researchers gain access to 13 courses with over 60 hours of learning, such as:
- Avancing your scientific presentations
- Data analysis
- Effective collaboration in research
- Finding Funding Opportunities
- Persuasive Grant Writing
- Scientific Writing and Publishing
- Online videos, learning activities and workshops offering one-to-one interaction with experts.
- As a researcher you can select the courses and individual modules you are interested in and for the right stage in your career.
- You can decide when and where to learn, at a time that's convenient for you.
On 31 January 2023, from 12:30 p.m. till 1:30 p.m. we will host an introduction session on Nature Master classes. More information will follow soon (registration and access link).
How to get access?
Access is possible from 31 December 2022.
On the Register page, click ‘Your institution’ and select Universiteit Antwerpen from the drop-down menu (or: start typing ‘Universiteit Antwerpen’ and select from the options that will appear).
You will be requested to confirm your e-mail address if you are logging in for the first time. For more information on the registration, see this user guide.
The University of Antwerp attaches particular importance to training through lectures and other popularizing activities for a broad audience. For this assignment all university scientists are being involved.
The Lifelong Learning team focuses on support and training of both PhD students and independent academic personnel (ZAP) with regard to the communication about their research. Under the Life Long Learning lable, they offer a wide range of non-diploma or certificate-oriented trainings and activities for anyone with an interest in science, whether they are young or old. They organize a number of activities and also support initiatives that emerge in the different faculties or departments. In this way, the University of Antwerp wants to engage the general public in science and show them the impact it has on our daily life.
Some initiatives are the "Let's Talk Science!" summer school on science communication, PRESS>SPEAK and PRESS>SPEAK>INSPIRE.
- Summer school Let's Talk Science is a joint initiative of all Flemish universities. Every year at the beginning of July, PhD students and post-doctoral researchers are immersed in science communication and communication skills.
- PRESS>SPEAK: To make clear, in a short but powerful way, what your research is all about…. Not a simple task, especially when your audience has very little prior knowledge on the subject! However, this is exactly what newspapers, newscasts and radio broadcasts are looking for. Furthermore it could help you introduce colleagues with different expertise to matters long familiar by you. Or maybe you would just like a little extra practice on giving a clear and effective presentation on a complex subject? Through a presentation and writing contest titled PRESS>SPEAK we are challenging young scientists to make their first steps towards a broad but intimate audience consisting of colleagues, family, friends and fans.
- PRESS>SPEAK>Inspire offers to all UAntwerp scientists a networking and inspiration opportunity to acquire new insights and ideas for engaging in science communication. Experienced professors as well as young PhD students can participate and be inspired with regard to science communication, guided by peer counselors and experts from in- and outside the university walls.
Team Science Communication
Tel. +32 3 265 31 27
StatUa is the officially recognized core facility for statistical data analysis at the University of Antwerp. StatUa services include, but are not limited to:
- Statistical assistance for researchers
- Organization of the StatUa day and other events
- Statistical training for researchers via short courses, in collaboration with the Antwerp Doctoral School
- Friday Methods Sessions: a series of lectures on methodological issues
StatUa is partner of the Flanders training network for Methodology and Statistics (FLAMES).