Help us beat cancer
What does CORE do?
The Centre for Oncological Research (CORE) at the University of Antwerp conducts groundbreaking research into much-needed new cancer treatments, with a special focus on immunotherapy and on innovative targeted therapies.
Through immunotherapy, the immune system is essentially 'armed' so it can win the battle against cancer cells. Researchers expect this therapy to be widely used in the near future, because of the promising results so far. With our research, we want to expand the possibilities of immunotherapy even further. For instance, we are developing therapies for colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, lung cancer, asbestos cancer and brain tumours.
Over the past decade, significant advances in science have led to new, targeted drugs that attack cancer cells while causing less damage to normal cells. These drugs selectively target faulty genes or proteins that contribute to the growth and development of cancer cells. Usually, they are combined with other forms of treatment. In our research group, we focus specifically on optimising such combination therapies. We are also studying the effect of reduced oxygen tension (hypoxia, a phenomenon that occurs frequently in tumours) on these cancer treatments. We are looking at several common types of cancer, including lung cancer, colon cancer and head/neck tumours.
Want to know more about CORE's groundbreaking cancer research? Be sure to check out the website.
Support this project
Do you want to support our project? Here's how you can contribute:
Did you know that donations of 40 euros or more are 45 % tax deductible? This is an extra incentive to provide maximum support to our cancer research.
Step 1 - Donation
There are two ways to donate:
- By bank transfer to bank account number BE42 7310 4624 7854 in the name of 'Universiteit Antwerpen'. Be sure to mention 'fiscaal attest' (tax certificate) and your preferred destination, in this case: 'CORE', in the communication field.
- By online payment, where you can indicate your preferred destination straight away.
Step 2 - Donation form
In order to allocate your donation correctly, we recommend you to also send us the donation form where you indicate your preference for the destination of the amount again.
Send the filled in form:
- digitally: email it to firstname.lastname@example.org ( a scan or photo are sufficient)
- by post: Universiteitsfonds Antwerpen - Middelheimlaan 1 M.A.223 - 2020 Antwerpen
- Prof. Filip Lardon, Tel: 03 265 25 47 - email@example.com
- Prof. Evelien Smits, Tel: 03 265 26 54 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. An Wouters, Tel: 03 265 25 76 - email@example.com
Address: CORE Cancer Research, Campus Drie Eiken T4, Universiteit Antwerpen, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk.